How to represent polygon features using icons in ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
12-30-2015 01:09 PM
FatmaŞenol
Occasional Contributor II

Dear Geonet Members,

I'm trying to develop  an android application showing buildings in my university campus.

There is no problem in symbolizing buildings  based on their attributes such as

`architecture`, `engineering`, `library` etc.  Everything seems to be fine when I test

the application except one thing. What I want is to display an icon (i.e a book icon for the

library) on top of polygon feature so that  user can tap an icon on the map to open the

feature's pop-up. I would be thankful if you could kindly share your suggestions on this issue.

Happy New Year and Happy Holiday

- Saygin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LeoLadefian4
Occasional Contributor

perhaps creating a point by using the centroid of the polygon, fill in the attribute, then label the point might be an option.  Publish the point service, you will have multiple services however.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
LeoLadefian4
Occasional Contributor

perhaps creating a point by using the centroid of the polygon, fill in the attribute, then label the point might be an option.  Publish the point service, you will have multiple services however.

FatmaŞenol

Leo,

I'm sorry for not responding your reply earlier. Actually, I already created a point by using centroid  of the polygon but I didn't think of filling in the attribute. If you don't mind my asking could you please kindly share a document explaining how to put an icon for each polygon ? Thank you in advance

Happy New Year

- O.S.

0 Kudos
LeoLadefian4
Occasional Contributor

I suggested labeling the point, so perhaps you could spatial join the point to the polygon, then use the attribute for the point to label the feature.  Does that make sense?

0 Kudos
FatmaŞenol

Hello Leo,

Once again. thank you for the helpful suggestion. I used Feature to point tool to create centroids and replaced each centroid (point) with a symbol based on the function of the building defined in the attribute table. On the other hand, in ArcGIS Online I find adding `Map Note` layer is effective for this purpose.

Have a great holiday.