AnsweredAssumed Answered

Lining up CAD data - georeferencing

Question asked by recurvata on Dec 29, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 30, 2015 by recurvata

I received a .dwg file of a county drain from an engineering firm that doesn't display in the correct location (it's very far to the west). In the past, I've georeferenced these types of files and converted them to shapefiles. I can convert them to shapefiles, but they still display in the wrong location.

When I try to georeference the CAD polyline, ArcMap crashes and closes every time with the 'a serious application error' message when I try to add links. Fit to display works ok.

I can't get much information from the engineering firm. They did try converting it to a shapefile on their end, but somethings is wrong with the result. None of the files will open.

Based on measuring corresponding features in both the reference data and the CAD file, my guess is that the CAD units are inches, while the GIS data is in State Plane international feet.

Running ArcMap Advanced 10.3.1 over a VDI connection, Windows 7, 64 bit. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.

Update - I did get it to line up by a trial and error process of customizing a projection file, but would still like to solve the georeferencing issue.

Outcomes