how to alter source and sink in an existing geometric network

Jump to solution
12-28-2015 11:40 PM
ErnejunCorvera
New Contributor III

Hi.

I have an existing geometric network with hundreds of rules in it with an undefined sources and sinks, so my problem is how can I alter the geometric network properties to set one of the feature class as sources and sinks to YES.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SSMIC3038
Occasional Contributor III

We had to develop a custom geometric network rules loader at ArcGIS 8.0.....16 years ago, this should be a standard ArcGIS tool that is bullet proof.

Correct, you have to specify (ie: turn on) sources/sinks during geometric network creation.

Once that is done you specify in a certain feature class attribute, specifically in the 'Ancillary Role' field, that fields drop down box will allow Source, Sink, None.

Once they are set run the 'Set Flow Direction' from the 'Utility Network Analyst' toolbar and assess the result with flow direction arrows.

If you have to rebuild your geometric network, make sure you work on a back up or test version first.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

I am not aware of anyway to change this once the network is built.  You can export your network, drop it and recreate it.  This add in will help.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=fa4e4cdd3bf64be7a1287fd1fd12e2f1

SSMIC3038
Occasional Contributor III

We had to develop a custom geometric network rules loader at ArcGIS 8.0.....16 years ago, this should be a standard ArcGIS tool that is bullet proof.

Correct, you have to specify (ie: turn on) sources/sinks during geometric network creation.

Once that is done you specify in a certain feature class attribute, specifically in the 'Ancillary Role' field, that fields drop down box will allow Source, Sink, None.

Once they are set run the 'Set Flow Direction' from the 'Utility Network Analyst' toolbar and assess the result with flow direction arrows.

If you have to rebuild your geometric network, make sure you work on a back up or test version first.