Next Step...Flex Viewer going away

Jump to solution
12-28-2015 02:00 PM
JASONREMILLARD
New Contributor II

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions about migrating from Flex Viewer since it will no longer be supported in the near future.  I have looked at options for the web-app builder using Portal, but don't want to spend all the money on "Named Users"  It seems like it was so easy to build an internal site with the Flex Viewer builder that there isn't anything close to it besides the web-app builder.  I've been trying to use the mobile content server but seems like I can't add custom widgets, or haven't stumbled across the right site for help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I haven't used Portal (just the AGOL version) but did you look over the instructions I have here?

Tips and Observations for getting Web AppBuilder - Developer Edition Installed

Even though I haven't used Portal, there are many that have been able to get it to work, so a search of the forums may also turn up some additional tips.

Also TAPAS DAS​ has a detailed instruction guide, with graphics, for many of the install and customization steps.

Installing Robert’s Enhanced Search Widget for the Web AppBuilder

Don't be confused by the name of the thread, there is much more than just the Search widget on this page.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

If you can make all your websites "public", you will not need named users for other to access.  If that is the case,  Web AppBuilder developer edition might still be you best bet.

Web AppBuilder Developer Edition - Customization Resource List

If you want to get totally away fromt he WAB environment and any need for a named user in AGOL or Portal, you can look at the JSAPI and write your own.

ArcGIS API for JavaScript

In either case, you can host the websites locally.

JASONREMILLARD
New Contributor II

Thank you so much for the reply Rebecca.

My other question that I have focusing on WAB is if I have everything public facing.  Can I have multiple people editing through the web app?

Sorry but we are in the midst of migrating towards IPADS, IPHONES, etc.  I was told by our IT that they can just VPN to get onto our local intranet.  Since they want to share anything with the Public Public if that makes sense.

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

You may want to read through some of these other posts..

Internal ONLY Web Map Sharing Issues

Setting up a proxy with Web AppBuilder Developer Edition | Support Services Blog

Others have had the same needs, and typically it comes down to needing a proxy. One option is to make the AGOL webmap public (for use with WAB, Collector, App Studio apps, etc), but have all the data secure (and can be from local server) and use the proxy and/or an SSL login to access the data needed.  I have not done this myself yet (for editing behind the firewall) but others had the need to edit SDE data with a custom app, and they have it set up with a runtime license (I was only involved on very peripheral of this project).

The VPN option might work too.  I think a lot of it depends on the desired user interface and connection options for that to work.

0 Kudos
JASONREMILLARD
New Contributor II

Sorry to bother you again Rebecca, but I have been trying to use the Web App Builder via my Portal,

however I don't get the option of Registering it!  I'm about to pull out what little hair I have.  Is this something you have ever ran across.  I followed the instructions to a T and it just does not give me the option??

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I haven't used Portal (just the AGOL version) but did you look over the instructions I have here?

Tips and Observations for getting Web AppBuilder - Developer Edition Installed

Even though I haven't used Portal, there are many that have been able to get it to work, so a search of the forums may also turn up some additional tips.

Also TAPAS DAS​ has a detailed instruction guide, with graphics, for many of the install and customization steps.

Installing Robert’s Enhanced Search Widget for the Web AppBuilder

Don't be confused by the name of the thread, there is much more than just the Search widget on this page.

balrajmone1
New Contributor

Web App Builder -  (Developer Edition) is the next Step to Flex Viewer.  it works with arcgis online or portal.

0 Kudos