Map Service & Feature Service Drawing Order for ArcGIS Online

12-23-2015 12:58 PM
PatrickMcKinney1
Occasional Contributor III

Does anyone know why you can not drag a map service above a feature service in ArcGIS Online? It appears feature services must always draw above map services.  If this is a limitation of AGOL, it should definitely be an enhancement.

I have a map service that is labels for layers published as a feature service.  The labels are drawing below the feature service due to the order of items in AGOL. 

If I bring in the map services individually (versus as a group), AGOL lets me place them above the feature services.  However, the labels won't work. It's as if AGOL is treating the services as a feature service.

I use this solution because feature services draw cleaner than map services, but because AGOL's feature service labeling leaves much to be desired.  Map services seem to be better for labeling features.

My sample maps is located at http://ccpa.maps.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=90657a691f1a4118b3ce93b37fb593a4 .

2 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I have had this issue for a while too. I believe it is a limitation of AGOL, unfortunately. I wish this would get fixed and I wish we had as much layer control in AGOL as we do in ArcMap, etc. I also have had the same issue of bringing in the services individually (but my issue is that the symbology gets messed up - along with the labels, unfortunately).

Maybe a customized web map would solve this issue?

0 Kudos
SethLewis1
Occasional Contributor III

Patrick,

See here:

Organize layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

It appears to be the default structure for feature services/lyrs to always draw on top of map services.

Best to lodge an enhancement request with ESRI.