Preventing edits of locations and shapes.

Jump to solution
12-26-2015 04:00 PM
RandalBradshaw
New Contributor

I have watched a couple of tutorials and I signed up for a trial. I have created my own collector map but instead of using points I used a layer of polygons that identify property boundaries. I have added fields for inspection characteristics. How can I prevent the polygon from being edited? I only want to edit the characteristics and not the location or shape of the parcels but when I go to the files to edit the polygon is highlighted fr for editing and is easily changed inadvertently.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MaryLong
Esri Contributor

If your service is hosted on ArcGIS Online, you can change the edit settings for the feature service in the Item Details. If you choose "Update feature attributes only", editors will only be able to modify attribute information, and will not be able to change the feature geometry.

Manage hosted web layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

FAQs—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

Update a feature—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

It sounds like an individual would have to purposefully edit the location.  So the FAQ suggests looking at map properties. And there is certainly a shortage of supporting documents on GeoNet

0 Kudos
MaryLong
Esri Contributor

If your service is hosted on ArcGIS Online, you can change the edit settings for the feature service in the Item Details. If you choose "Update feature attributes only", editors will only be able to modify attribute information, and will not be able to change the feature geometry.

Manage hosted web layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS