DBMS Erros

12-19-2015 09:10 AM
ToddAtkins
Occasional Contributor

Well we've been on Azure for about 18 months now and I'm still fighting DBMS errors. Our current setup is Server 10.3.1 on a D3 VM instance with our database in an S3 Azure SQL instance. We have ~15 or so Feature Services that are being used to edit attributes (no geometry manipulation or creation) using custom built javascript webapps. At various times we end up with the following DBMS errors:

Service instance activation failed in 'XXX/XXX.MapServer'. AutomationException: 0x80004005 - Failure to access the DBMS server [08S01:[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]TCP Provider: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ] [dbo.DEFAULT] in 'esriDataSourcesGDB.SdeWorkspace.1'

or

Error: Underlying DBMS error [HY009:[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Invalid argument value] [XXX].

Whenever these errors occur, the ONLY solution is to restart the service manually.

I've fiddled with the service settings and a typical setup is:

• Min 0 and Max 5 processes in high isolation
  • Recycle every 24 hours
  • Periodically check and repair data connections for idle instances every 10 minutes
  • Max. time an idle instance can be kept running: 600 seconds

Additionally, we also get other errors that I'm not sure are directly related to the above or not since they don't seem to occur at the same times. I've emailed some of these reports to Esri but without any feedback:

Failed to initialize server object 'XXX/XXX': 0x80004005: Unspecified error

which then leads to

Instance of the service 'XXX' crashed. Please see if an error report was generated in 'C:\arcgisserver\logs\XXX\errorreports'. To send an error report to Esri, compose an e-mail to ArcGISErrorReport@esri.com and attach the error report file.

If anybody has any suggestions here, I'd really appreciate it. It's gotten so bad that we've spun up an AWS instance to start testing things out there but I really don't want to move 18 months of data and probably 50 million records to a whole different platform unless there's just no alternative.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
KathleenWallis
Occasional Contributor II

Todd - My boss wants me to look into the possibility of us having our on premise vm machines hosted in Azure. Can you tell of if you are still having DBMS errors. In all how to you feel about Azure. Are there any problems or gotchas I should be aware of. If you know somewhere that I can get more information and or feedback from ESRI users please let me know.
Currently I have 2 vm 10.3.1 server "boxes" and 2 vm web hosting "boxes".

Thank you Katy

0 Kudos