ArcMap (Not responding)

Jump to solution
12-14-2015 02:39 PM
MelvinShuster
New Contributor III

Hello

I am working on a project in ArcMap 10.3 that requires a lot of repetitive operations. I also recently updated to Windows 10. For most every operation the cursor wheel just goes around and around while the words "ArcMap not responding" appears on top. Do you have any idea why it does not "respond" any quicker? It appears from the threads on Google that this has been a problem for quite some time. None of the things that they have suggested have helped.

Thanks,

Mel

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

sometimes, it has been reported that the mxd is 'bad'... try it in a new one and locate your source and destinations files in a folder that is simple.  If that doesn't work, get someone else to log on to your machine and create a profile and run arc

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

to save reinventing the suggestions, what have you tried... and what are you doing that invoke the slowness (ie running tools in the background? digitizing? etc etc) ... is it just your profile? or does the slowness exist when another profile is used on your machine.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Did you disable background geoprocessing which I believe is on by default?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

And to answer your query... do a search on GeoNet using 'background processing' and compare the number of threads with 'foreground processing' ... you may see if your work habits or workflow fall into any of those thread types.

MelvinShuster
New Contributor III

I have tried unclicking "Log geoprocessing operations to a log file" and deleting some of the geoprocessing results in history.

I have clipped a raster with a series of polygons. I am now symbolizing the products of this clipping. ArcMap responds with "not responding" with each symbolizing effort. This is just my profile.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

sometimes, it has been reported that the mxd is 'bad'... try it in a new one and locate your source and destinations files in a folder that is simple.  If that doesn't work, get someone else to log on to your machine and create a profile and run arc

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Just so you are aware of it, it is pretty common for ArcMap to show the "Not Responding" message if you are doing any heavy processing.  While the "Not Responding" message is usually a very bad sign for most software, it is not the end of the world with ArcMap.  Oftentimes it is still working fine.  One of the oddities of ArcMap....

So the bigger question is then whether what you are experiencing is normal given your system, settings, etc.  As Dan Patterson suggested, can you provide more details on what you are doing when you encounter this?

Also, if you have 10.3, the issue may be due to it probably not being certified for Windows 10:

October 10, 2015 UPDATE: Windows 10 support begins at ArcGIS 10.3.1

Is Windows 10 certified with ArcGIS Products?

So that begs the question, is the "Not Responding" behavior something new since you upgraded to Windows 10 (it is not clear from your original post).

Chris Donohue, GISP

MelvinShuster
New Contributor III

It seems to have gotten worse since I upgraded to Windows 10.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Windows 10 has been fine for me...it even was before it got 'approved' IF you are using 10.3.1... which is what I installed after windows 10...we won't even go down the upgrade from window 7 or whatever on an old machine issues.

0 Kudos
MelvinShuster
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan, Chris and Michael for your help. I tried simplifying the pathway to the mxd and files that I am using. The process still takes awhile, which I am now realizing is typical for using rasters, but is now quicker and does not invoke the "not responding" response from ArcMap.

0 Kudos