Printing text

12-11-2015 01:14 PM
AkmahGhavam
New Contributor

@I just start using ArcGIS!

There is a raster in the background of my map.

This raster is a city map which down loads from some server.

The raster comes with very tiny street names.

I have to zoom in very much to see these tiny letters in data view.

In layout view at that scale I am using no text is visible which is fine, otherwise it would be very busy.

But these tiny texts are shown in preview and the printouts.

Default the resolution is 300. If I set the resolution to 250 these texts are gone!

I really don't want to use such a low resolution but this is the only way to get red of those texts.

I already checked and could not found any alternative in the raster to filter those texts out.

How can I get exactly what I see (without tiny texts) in layout view?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Removing the text is dependent on how it is being provided with the raster.  Some possibilities and outcomes:

• The Text is part of the raster background image AND the image resides on your computer/server.  Unfortunately, there is no easy way to remove the text in this case (though workarounds are possible if you want to do Photoshop or other processing, but this can get complicated).
  • The text is on an image coming from an image service, like using "Add Basemap" in ArcGIS.  Usually there is no way to turn the text off in this case, though occasionally some images do have a setting.  In ArcMap in the Table of Contents expand the raster by clicking on the plus sign to see if it breaks out into several subgroups.  If it does, one might be the text part.  If so, uncheck that part to turn off the text.
  • The text is actually annotation on a separate layer than the raster.  If this is the case, you can turn it off.  In ArcMap, see if it is listed separately from the raster in the Table of Contents.  If so, you can turn it off in the Table of Contents by unchecking the checkbox for it.
  • The text is actually annotation in your mxd.  If this is the case, you can turn it off (or make a copy of the mxd, then select the annotation and delete it).  To see if this is the case, in ArcMap, in the Table of Contents, right-click the word "Layers", then choose "Properties...", then in the "Data Frame Properties" window that comes up click on the tab called "Annotation Groups".  Uncheck one by one the groups (there might be several) and hit Apply, and then see if in each case the text is still there.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
AkmahGhavam
New Contributor

Thanks for your answer!

I do not see any information in the image layer such as attribute table or subgroup.

So as you mentioned the text must be hard coded in the raster.

The strange thing is that the text is not there in layout view but it gets printed out!

Probably the print resolution is better then screen resolution!

Maybe I can find some workaround in printing options.

So far I managed to lower the print resolution from 300 to 200 and by doing that make the text disappear!

Thanks! Have a nice day!

0 Kudos