Displaying a raster of rate in 3D in ArcGIS PRO

Jump to solution
12-10-2015 09:54 AM
CWalz
by
New Contributor II

I have built  rasters of barrels per day representing several different time periods. I would like to display these in 3d so that I can see the highs and lows and where they have shifted over time.  (The raster is built from a multipoint feature, so I have that as well).  What I want to present is something similar to grid meshes/surfaces showing where they 'poke' above and below each other.  I am just learning ArcGIS Pro, so I may have missed something completely fundamental, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanielAmrine
Occasional Contributor

The trick in "tricking" pro to display something other than elevation as an elevation raster is the use of vertical exaggeration. You can right click on the Layers_3d under contents and set a new ground surface. You can then navigate to the said raster and use this as a "layer" to drape the raster on. The right click on the raster layer itself and then set the elevation to the custom surface you made. then...Bingo! you have a raster set to values of BOE. but remember if you have 1,000,000 BOE it's going to draw a point at 1,000,000 ft or meters depending on your coordinate system. so i would convert it to MM boe or billion depending on the area. This is a map of BOE of the Clinton in Ohio all from public data. The red is <= 151,342 BOE you could also multiply the BOE by a factor like 0.001 to adjust the values but make sure you apply it to both the custom surface and the raster.

Hope this helps!

Dan

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanielAmrine
Occasional Contributor

The trick in "tricking" pro to display something other than elevation as an elevation raster is the use of vertical exaggeration. You can right click on the Layers_3d under contents and set a new ground surface. You can then navigate to the said raster and use this as a "layer" to drape the raster on. The right click on the raster layer itself and then set the elevation to the custom surface you made. then...Bingo! you have a raster set to values of BOE. but remember if you have 1,000,000 BOE it's going to draw a point at 1,000,000 ft or meters depending on your coordinate system. so i would convert it to MM boe or billion depending on the area. This is a map of BOE of the Clinton in Ohio all from public data. The red is <= 151,342 BOE you could also multiply the BOE by a factor like 0.001 to adjust the values but make sure you apply it to both the custom surface and the raster.

Hope this helps!

Dan

CWalz
by
New Contributor II

Thanks for the example. My isn't working (yet)

This is what I've done:

rt-click Layers_3D---> Properties

Elevation Surface--> Add new Surface. I set my raster as the elevation source. I didn't mess with the vertical exaggeration as my rates range from 0-800; i set the units to feet.

My raster is listed under 2d layers (is the correct? It won't let me drag it to Layers_3d):

rt-click--> properties

Elevation--> set source to my new surface from steps abpve.

And then it just churns.

It doesn't seem to be locked up - I can save the project, click on other menus etc - but nothing shows up in the display and the whirly circle keeps spinning in the lower right corner.

Thanks for the tips!  I have direction now and maybe just need to muck about some more.

0 Kudos
DanielAmrine
Occasional Contributor

That's a major issue with Pro. It is dependent on your network connection

so in my case our network is very slow sometimes so it may take a while.

Also 800 feet is not very far at some scales, you may have to zoom in to

see the relief. I would exaggerate it by 100 times so it goes from viewing

an 800ft hill to 80,000ft!

I also zoomed out really far until I could see the raster.

pro is buggy nut worth it so good luck

Dan​