Can I select which geolocator to use in ArcGIS Online Map?

Jump to solution
12-10-2015 10:58 AM
JimDahl
Occasional Contributor

I have built several locators that do not pertain to all the Maps I have created.  I do not want the user to need to select which one to use.  I would like to designate which locators (geocoder) are available in which map.  Any suggestions on how to do this?

jim

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

I think so - maybe add an ArcGIS ideas site post to improve the experience.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jim,

The only possible configuration I am aware of (for defining which locators are available for use and which one is default) is you can define the geocoders for your organization and thus each webmap created will use those based on the orgs settings.

Open your organizations site:

My Organization > Utility Services > Geocoding

BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

You can configure the search experience in a map to also support searching features:

Search locations and features—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Regards

0 Kudos
JimDahl
Occasional Contributor

Bruce, this at first appeared like what i wanted, but i do not see how it makes the others go away for the map. Am i reading correctly that this is possible?

0 Kudos
JimDahl
Occasional Contributor

Robert, i agree that this only promotes the service, it doesn't make the others not appear in a web map.

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

We don't make it that easy, you have to configure search too:

http://docdev.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/create-maps/configure-feature-search.htm

The remaining annoyance is you can't prioritize feature or address search if both are on.

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

Jim,

If you publish your web map as an app with the Simple Map Viewer you do have the option to configure what locators are exposed.  I believe several other apps include this functionality as well.

configure_search_tool.jpg

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jim,

Kyle is correct if you use your webmap in JS API you can configure the search widget to use which ever locators you wish. Web AppBuilder also allows you to configure the Search widget.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

How about creating an app with web-app builder and configuring the search widget with the appropriate geocode service?

Search widget—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

Think Location
JimDahl
Occasional Contributor

this appeared to be what i wanted to do. The search widget now contains only one locator.

However, i do not know how to get rid of the original search box.

thanks

0 Kudos