AnsweredAssumed Answered

Searching for ArcGIS Help Topics

Question asked by rossi45 on Dec 9, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 9, 2015 by Dan_Patterson

For years now, I've been using Google search to search out help topics in ArcGIS. Mostly for python programming. Using Google has been quick and accurate and I always got what i wanted within the first search item, if not the 2nd or 3rd. A couple months ago I started getting weird results when I searched. The results were becoming very inconsistent and do not return the search results I have always come to expect. It is getting increasingly difficult to get the answer I am looking for and I am wonderring why?

For example, I have done following search countless times so I can go and look at the syntax for the Calculate Field tool for ArcGIS 10.2. The first result always came up that took me to the Calculate Fields help page. About 2 months ago, I was doing these types of searches and they started taking me to the German Help page, so everything was in German. Within the last week or 2, the search doesn't even take me to any help topic, but mostly forums like GIS Stack, or ArcGIS Help topics that don't apply:

Further to that, I decided to go into ArcGIS 10.2 Help topics and search from there. So in the first image, I typed in 'Calculate Field' in the search box in the upper right corner:

And here is the result:

Now, I don't profess that I know how searches perform from one application to another, however I do believe they include keywords and search algorithms. Has something changed in the last couple months on the ESRI side? I find it hard that Google is the culprit in returning the weird results I have been experiencing in the last few months.

Thanks,

Mike

Outcomes