ArcGIS online and its customization

12-09-2015 09:13 AM
FABEFABE1
New Contributor

I am new to the ArcGIS online, and here are few things I am trying to figure out if ArcGIS online can be customized for:

1. My role in the organization is publisher. How would I be able to download the data published as image layer by the administrator of the organization? Can the administrator restrict downloading of raster by user permission?
  2. Regarding publishing of metadata- I have multiple groups in the organization.I want to limit the access to the data by group type. I want one group to view and download the data, while for other groups I want to share only the metadata (not the data).
  3. Is there a way to view footprints of data when we zoom into the area in ArcGIS Online?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

Little odd you are re-posting almost verbatim using a different user account...here is the other thread just in case you forgot.

Customization of ArcGIS online

FABEFABE1
New Contributor

Kyle, yes, I re-posted those same questions as I wanted to collect more feedbacks/responses on this regard.  Not that your responses were helpful:)  It's funny that you caught it immediately.

Its kind of odd that image layers cannot be downloaded directly like feature layer. My requirement is to be able to provide certain users in a group to download the image data.

Also, as I previously mentioned, need to be able to customize the display of metadata of the data. Only certain users can see both the metadata and data but others have just access to metadata only.

I am just wondering if people have been doing lot of customization in the ArcGIS online based on their requirements or customization is something that is very hard to achieve in ArcGIS online.

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

For future reference just add a new comment to your original post...it will bump it up to the top of the list. 

As far as the image service download ability...it is possible if the image service is configured to allow exporting (this is controlled on the hosting server end).   You would then need to publish a geoprocessing service and make that tool accessible via the Web AppBuilder.  Others may have other ideas on how to accomplish this task.

Key concepts for image services—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

Regarding the metadata...I do not believe you can split access as you described with the current user roles.  If you provide access to an item they will be able to add that same item to a map.

FABEFABE1
New Contributor

Thank you Kyle. These are helpful.

0 Kudos