AnsweredAssumed Answered

License Server has multiple IP addresses

Question asked by gvgowing on Dec 7, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 7, 2015 by vsfoote

I have a license server that is used for multiple purposes including serving up ArcMap and Geo-Media licenses.

A second IP was recently added to this server, for use in an unrelated IIS project. We needed to have multiple IIS configurations and therefore needed a second IP with a DNS entry to it.

For example purposes, I'll say that the original IP was 10.10.1.11 (computer name ApplicationServer) and that we added 10.10.1.10 to the box. We then created a DNS entry for 10.10.1.10 and called it AltApplicationServer.

When we did this, we broke both the Geo-Media license server and the ArcMap 10.3 license server. I was able to fix the Geo-media license server easily enough by allowing it to use the new IP.

However, I haven't found a solution to the ArcMap License server. I've tried editing service.txt (the original is still preserved)

Original line:

SERVER this_host ANY 27000

I tried

SERVER this_host INTERNET=10.10.1.10 27000

and I tried

SERVER this_host INTERNET=10.10.1.11 27000

I know that there isn't a conflict between Geo-Media and ArcGIS because they were running in parallel before we added the IP. I also know for fact that they are still using different ports.

When I run lmgrd.exe -c service.txt -z

I get "Failed to open the TCP port number in the license."

I'm guessing that its related to the pairing of IP addresses.

Outcomes