Selection??

12-07-2015 01:48 AM
StefanSommer
New Contributor

Hello.

I try to make a selection, but most of the layers are not selectable what is the criterion for a layer to be selectable?

And can I make some changes so that this layers are selectable by attributes or by location.

In this case I have evaluation map and a shapefile with the borders.The evaluation map is not selectable I only could make a selection by using the attribute table but the I had no Idea to continue.I want to make selection by location that shows the places that are in distance of two km from the borders and are higher then 100m.

Thank you for help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Are you using ArcMap? ArcGIS Online? what software and where was the data loaded from? Is it just a basemap or data that you have?

The basics of working with the table of contents are listed in this link (having said that, there are issues with links this weekend)

Using the table of contents—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  or from the main help page, it is under the Map tab, Working with ArcMap and  Working with Layers

StefanSommer
New Contributor

I m using Arcgis desktop10.1 ....the layer for the bounderies is a shapefile data and it s selectable ....and the other layer I got from this link:http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=c891f64c13be4a2c96491e386bfed8c5 (this is not selectable)

I also put a basemap which Icurrently not use in that project but I just use to get an idea about the surface of the area.And it s also not selectable.

Thank You

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

The data from the link is a raster dataset and therefore you cannot use the traditional selection tool.

ChadKopplin
Occasional Contributor III

Stefan,

It appears that the map service from the EROS data center is not shared as a feature service in order to make it selectable.  You can call the EROS data center to request the raster's that are used to make the service.

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Are they in raster or vector you were trying to select one of the layers ? Do they select all in one or just multiple ones ?  If they were select just one , it sounded like it need to use this ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

0 Kudos