AnsweredAssumed Answered

Configure ArcGIS Online Popup with URL to local server files

Question asked by durshe on Dec 2, 2015
Latest reply on Jun 12, 2019 by mvolz47

I have a GIS layer with an attribute that stores a path (i.e. \\vancouver.root.local\...) to video and photo media files that are stored on a local server. We are not interested in making these media files accessible to public via world wide web. However, I would like to make these accessible to those who are connected to our network. I'm trying to make them accessible via an ArcGIS Online web map.

I am using the custom popup configuration where I'm configuring the URL. I'm not sure whether or not this is something that can be done successfully.

For this example, my field name that contains the path to the media is called {Video}. The data in there is formatted \\vancouver.root.local\...

I've tried various iterations of file:///{Video}, <a href="file:///"{Video}>Link 1</a>, <a href="file:///{Video}">Link 1</a> just {Video} and nothing seems to work.

Has anyone tried this with success? I'm assuming there are some limitations due to security. Also, do I have to set up my media server as IIS?

I haven't been able to find any discussions that talk about my specific issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Eugene D.

Outcomes