When will the ArcGIS Pro developers make surfaces automatically use their own base heights when added to ArcGIS Pro?

12-02-2015 01:52 AM
wilwaters
New Contributor III

I really wanted to love ArcGIS Pro. I did in fact love the fact that it allowed for simultaneous viewing of 2D and 3D of the same layers. This is awesome. What is NOT awesome is when I add a surface I have to then laboriously go in to the settings of it and tell ArcGIS Pro that, yes, I indeed do what the base heights for that surface to come from that surface, not some other surface.

It is silly frankly that ArcGIS Pro developers didn't want to assume that this is how the user would want the automatic response of this program to be upon a surface layer being added.

I have never before when using for example ArcScene used the baseheights from another surface, essentially just putting for example the surface symbology from one surface onto another one. This doesn't make sense as a default option, yet this obscure way of operating is the default.

Thank you for stopping being silly.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I agree... only if the default behaviour is that extrusion occur when the coordinates are projected and no geographic

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Wil,

This is good feedback.  Would you expect this behavior to occur only for single-band data with a bit depth of 8 or larger?  What defines a "surface layer" for you?

0 Kudos
wilwaters
New Contributor III

I was adding TINs. It was comical to see their colour symbology overlayed on another surface. I didn’t play with any rasters or other surface types. Basically, if a surface you’re adding to the 3D viewer has its own elevation information, automatically use that rather than a surface already in there.

This message is the property of Amec Foster Wheeler plc and/or its subsidiaries and/or affiliates and is intended only for the named

recipient(s). Its contents (including any attachments) may be confidential, legally privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure

by law. Unauthorised use, copying, distribution or disclosure of any of it may be unlawful and is strictly prohibited. We assume

no responsibility to persons other than the intended named recipient(s) and do not accept liability for any errors or omissions which

are a result of email transmission. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply email to the

sender and confirm that the original message and any attachments and copies have been destroyed and deleted from your system. This

disclaimer applies to any and all messages originating from us and set out above. If you do not wish to receive future unsolicited

commercial electronic messages from us, please forward this email to: unsubscribe@amecfw.com and include “Unsubscribe” in the subject

line. If applicable, you will continue to receive invoices, project communications and similar factual, non-commercial electronic communications.

Please go to http://amecfw.com/email-disclaimer for notices and company information in relation to emails originating in the UK, Italy or France.

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

wil,

I believe the default behavior is that your TIN is added to the ground surface, and the TIN is set to be "on ground".  So they are effectively drawn "on themselves".

It sounds like what you'd like is for a new "custom surface" to be created for each TIN added, and each TIN to be assigned to this new surface.  Is that correct?

Regards,

Jeremy W.

0 Kudos
wilwaters
New Contributor III

Hi Jeremy,

Yes. For any type of surface added not just TINs. I see how there is a concept of 'ground' in ArcGIS Pro. I guess this doesn't exist in ArcScene. I want to easily be able to see the difference in elevation between surfaces that I add. If I have to laboriously go and stop a new surface I add being drawn on the elevation of another one then this makes the whole process frustrating.

Wil

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

ok but besides TINs, how do we know which are "Surfaces"?  TINs are special in that they have both symbolization and elevation values in them.  What else should be a "surface"?  Single-band rasters with the data type set to "elevation"?

0 Kudos
wilwaters
New Contributor III

No idea. If it’s possible to do it with TINs though, do it. At least with other layers which could be surfaces, like .TIF files, have it as a step during adding it to the data frame that you can choose to use elevation values from that surface rather than automatically overlaying it on the surface defined already as ‘ground’.

This message is the property of Amec Foster Wheeler plc and/or its subsidiaries and/or affiliates and is intended only for the named

recipient(s). Its contents (including any attachments) may be confidential, legally privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure

by law. Unauthorised use, copying, distribution or disclosure of any of it may be unlawful and is strictly prohibited. We assume

no responsibility to persons other than the intended named recipient(s) and do not accept liability for any errors or omissions which

are a result of email transmission. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply email to the

sender and confirm that the original message and any attachments and copies have been destroyed and deleted from your system. This

disclaimer applies to any and all messages originating from us and set out above. If you do not wish to receive future unsolicited

commercial electronic messages from us, please forward this email to: unsubscribe@amecfw.com and include “Unsubscribe” in the subject

line. If applicable, you will continue to receive invoices, project communications and similar factual, non-commercial electronic communications.

Please go to http://amecfw.com/email-disclaimer for notices and company information in relation to emails originating in the UK, Italy or France.

0 Kudos
YovavZohar1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Wil and Jeremy,

I guess that you (Wil) ment to get a similar interface to the one in Arc Globe that asks you what is the nature of the layer you've added?

Actually, the best way, right now to add surfaces is through the "Add Preset" in which you can add a Ground (raster, TIN, and so on): http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/mapping/symbols-and-styles/preset-layers.htm

this is relevant only to the Scens (3D maps) and not to the 2D maps.

Those Ground layers are not visible and used only as part of the ground surfaces.

However, you can create a custom surface in the scene properties: http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/mapping/properties/elevation-surfaces.htm

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Yovav,

No what Wil wants is instead of adding all layers to ground, putting them all on their own separate surface (not ground).  So Add Ground won't help him here.

J

0 Kudos