Shapefile Coordinate system

Jump to solution
12-01-2015 03:29 AM
PatrykWalaszczyk
New Contributor

I created a polygon shapefile with a geographic WGS84 Coordinate system, the problem is I need a projected 1992 coordinate. I was trying to change it but my shape is moving to another place. Is there any option to convert that system without moving my shapes? Or is it possible to change it and then relocate shapes back to the old position but in a new coordinate system?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You need to use the Project tool which will create a new file in the new coordinate system assuming your input file is correctly defined.  Do not use the Define Projection to do this job, it will just foul everything up

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You need to use the Project tool which will create a new file in the new coordinate system assuming your input file is correctly defined.  Do not use the Define Projection to do this job, it will just foul everything up

PatrykWalaszczyk
New Contributor

You mean I should use a "Convert coordinate notation" tool? If yes, this tool require to input a X and Y field. I don't have any fields in attribute table with coordinates because my shapes are just a polyline. I don't know how to explain it exactly but look at photo below.

That polylines I created in WGS84, now when I enter to editor mode, there is an alert that "Spatial references doesn't match frame".Mapa.jpg

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

The tool is Project (under Data Management->Projections and Transformations).

0 Kudos
ChadKopplin
Occasional Contributor III

Load the shapefile into ArcMap, then change the data frame coordinate system to the projection that you want the data in, then right click on the layer and choose data>export data, and save the file as a new shapefile using the dataframe option, this will save the layer in the desired projection. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

as I said, the data need to be projected... which produces a file in the new coordinate system... the source of the tool has been provided as well as a variant approach, the net result is still the same ... a new file in a new coordinate system, from a file with a known coordinate system.

0 Kudos