Windows desktop silent installation

11-30-2015 05:28 PM
MarkO_Connor
New Contributor

How can Survey123Connect-Setup-x86.exe be run to install silently/unattended? There are multiple computers requiring the software and the users cannot sign on as an administrator.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarikaVertzonis
Esri Regular Contributor

which part of this question is important - 'silent' or 'non admin'?

ie: is that you want to do silent installs, or that you want to be able to install as a non administrator.

Non administrator installs are supported.

0 Kudos
MarkO_Connor
New Contributor

Either is acceptable.  If I could prepare a script to silently install for all users I could do so before a class uses the computer lab.  Alternatively, if non-admin users can install for themselves that would work as well should someone encounter a computer without the software. I'll take a look at the help text again, but whatever I was doing was for an admin user only. If you can point me to additional help that would be great. Thanks!

0 Kudos
MarikaVertzonis
Esri Regular Contributor

Survey123 installs into a location that does not need admin privileges - it installs to the users home directory. So if you are an admin, it will install into the admin users home directory. Its a very basic installation.

Research suggests that we may need to make changes to the installer to allow for silent installs - at the time we created the installer tooling this wasn't available, but it seems there have been changes since. If you are game take a look at the scripted suggestion made here:

[QTIFW-166] Support headless unattended installation - Qt Bug Tracker

PeterRussell
New Contributor II

Has this progressed at all?

Just tried the latest version and the installer wants to install to the user folders.

Our IT needs to be able to do silent non admin installs to a customisable folder location as per most other software.

0 Kudos