Safe route to school routes sidewalk prioritization

11-30-2015 09:50 AM
CharlieBryan
New Contributor II

We like to know how we can also calculate the disparities in community conditions for schools in terms of the sidewalk infrastructure.

We have GIS data on missing sidewalks, and the City has data on sidewalk quality.

I am not sure how we could use that data to calculate some sort of sidewalk conditions index, but it would be great to have a method to make comparisons between the routes for each school.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JenoraD_Acosta
Occasional Contributor

This would be a very impactful analysis and it sounds like you already have some solid data!  I have seen multiple cities and planning consultants dealing with this same issue.  I would start with an internet search to see the types of workflows that other cities and counties have implemented and then think about how you can alter those workflows to answer your specific questions.  The Safe Routes to School National Partnership report (link below) has some really great information and things to think about as you plan your analysis.  

http://saferoutespartnership.org/sites/default/files/pdf/A-Framework-for-GIS-and-Safe-Routes-to-Scho...

Hope this was helpful.

-Jenora