Feedback on New Features in November 2015

11-23-2015 12:00 PM
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello Story Mappers!

We hope you are enjoying the Story Map app enhancements that came as part of the November 2015 update to ArcGIS Online. You can read all about what's new in Story Maps in this blog post:

What’s New in Story Maps (November 2015) | ArcGIS Blog

We wanted to take this opportunity to ask you for your feedback on these enhancements in particular:

• Create and edit maps in builder mode of Map Journal and Map Series
  • Automated error checks in Map Journal and Map Series

Have these features caused any issues? What do you like or not like about what's new? How can we improve these features in the future?

If you have any feedback about these enhancements, or anything else that was new in this last update, please reply to this thread - we'd love to hear from you!

The Story Maps Team

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
Tags (1)
4 Replies
LechNaumovich
New Contributor

Hi Owen - I'm wondering if you might have an update on this topic? We're creating a map/guide/informational tool on habitat restoration specifically for butterflies in the Bay Area (CA). We have some drafts we're working on and love the built in search function now available... BUT, it there an easy way to mod-it, or add to it so that we can also search a term in the DBF - e.g. we have a taxon column, we'd like one to be able to type in "Silverspot Callippe" and have it highlight those polygons on the map of that taxon. Is this possible without an additional add-in/coding etc - or is the Search tool limited to geography in the basemaps?

Thanks - Lech  - lech@goldenhour.org

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Lech -- If you're using the Series or Journal template those support feature search. Just configure feature search in the web map as described here and the search widget will provide readers with the ability to search the feature attributes in the layers you configured.

If you're using Cascade you can create an app from one of the configurable app templates (like Basic Viewer, Minimalist, or Web AppBuilder) that supports the search you want and embed that in to your story.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
LechNaumovich
New Contributor

Thank you Owen for trying to help - I appreciate the link and quick feedback. I think I must be one of the caveat users since I cannot find the "Find locations" setting in item #4. Shucks, I must be missing something obvious here but I cannot find the setting that is referenced? 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

This option is only available for feature service layers, so that might be why you don't see those options for that web map.

Owen Evans