Arcmap Help!

11-21-2015 12:57 PM
KristinaConway
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm using arcmap from arcgis 10.3, and I can't seem to find any help online with my problem!

I know you can export your map to a png. file, but I'm wondering if there's any way to grab a specific portion of the data frame I'm working with and then export that selection to a png. file.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

Your question is not very clear.  What portion would your grab/select?  In any case, whatever it is you want, you have to set it up on your map first and then export it or else deal with it in a program like PhotoShop after exporting it.  The export options themselves won't let you do much along these lines with the PNG format.

If it is a feature selection you want, then can right click the layer in the Table of Contents and choose Selection -> Create Layer from Selected Features, import the symbology from the original layer, turn off the original layer, and then export the map.

Or perhaps you mean a Clipping region in your map.  If that is the case, see this help on Clipping the Data Frame.

If you want to isolate individual layers of your map to work with separately in a Photoshop program I suspect it is best to export several versions of the map with only one layer on at a time and then import these multiple exports into PhotoShop to create separate PhotoShop layers for further processing.

KristinaConway
New Contributor

Sorry, no I don't mean a feature selection or clipping, I was wondering if there was a feature in arcmap that would allow me to select a square portion of the map, and export it as a png. directly rather than having to set it up on a map first and exporting it, or using photoshop.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

If you are just trying to get a quick clip of what is showing on screen, and you have Win7 or above, you can use the "Snipping Tool" which on Win7 is found in Start->All_Programs->Accessories

Handy tool to "pin" to your taskbar.  With the Snipping tool, you can save whatever you capture within the box you draw, to a .png, .gif or .jpg.  Keep in mind that it will not be georeferenced, but just a pic.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

The snip tool is the best thing since hash browns.   I use it daily.

That should just about do it....
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

SnagIt at techsmith.com ... so much more cool stuff and a pitance

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Used Snagit to create training videos; great product.

That should just about do it....
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

One way to accomplish this is to use a screen grab application.  I use this one at work and at home:

Greenshot - a free and open source screenshot tool for productivity

It allows you to capture an image based on a shape you draw, the window it is in, and many other possibilities.  I find it very helpful.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos