How can I make separate viewsheds within buffers?

11-20-2015 10:13 AM
RyanHowell1
New Contributor III

I have a point file with 3000 points. My end goal is to have a raster file that shows viewshed for each of the points, clipped to both a 50m and 500m buffer. They have to be individual files so that I can compute percent visibility at each point. (for example, for point #1, there is 42% visibility in the 50m buffer).

The point file is one file with 3000 attributes (points). I want to automate this so I don't have to do it for each point individually.

Thanks for your suggestions.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

Ryan,

I would suggest a python script to automate this.

0 Kudos
RyanHowell1
New Contributor III

Rickey,

Thanks for your answer! Unfortunately, although learning python is on my to do list, I'm not very experienced with it...my experience basically ends with model builder when it comes to automating GIS processes. Is there a tool or series of tools I can use to separate the files, before or after running the viewshed?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

If you are unable to create a python script the next best option would be Model Builder.

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

RyanHowell1
New Contributor III

Kyle

I am familiar with model builder, but I'm not sure the order of tools to use or how to split things up. I assume if I use viewshed on the 3000 point file, it will give me a visible/not visible raster looking at every point, not the viewshed from each individual point. I assume I need to break up the point file so that I have 3000 separate rasters showing viewsheds for each individual point, and then use extract by mask to clip out the 50m and 500m buffers. Am I correct in assuming that? Is there a tool that will separate my 3000 point file?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor
RyanHowell1
New Contributor III

Thanks Rickey!

Sorry for being a bother, this isn't like anything I've done before and I'm a little confused. It looks like that link you posted is exactly what I need, following the directions of the first person gave me an error. Here are some screenshots

I'm probably doing something very basic wrong, but do you have any ideas? Thank you for your help and patience

0 Kudos
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

I have not tired to run the model but from comparing the two, you are missing a input into the buffer.

Compare both images of the models again

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

spaces and commas in folder paths are also generally a no-no... it is these generic things that often give rise to the all revealing 999999 and various numbers  in that range +/- 10

RyanHowell1
New Contributor III

Which is the input feature for the buffer tool between the result from the iterate feature selection and the result from get field value? It will only let me select one input feature obviously and I can't tell from the uploaded picture of the model what exactly is going on. I've tried a bunch of different things and can't seem to get it working. Any ideas?

0 Kudos