Extract Multivalues to Points consumes all memory and never finishes in ArcPro

11-19-2015 03:18 AM
FilipKrál
Occasional Contributor III

Hello all,

I need to extract values from about 30 raster datasets (each about 500 MB in size, signed 32 bit)  for about 1500 points.

When I use the Extract Multivalues to Points tool​, it quickly consumes all my memory (16 GB) and it never finishes. I must admit I only left it running for about an hour, but that is more than the whole process took in ArcMap.

It seems the tool is extremely memory intensive and I wonder if somebody has any suggestions how to get around it.

An obvious option is to use the Extract Values to Points tool repeatedly. Any other ideas?

Filip

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I would go with the obvious answer. I am not sure parallel processing would help or even speed up the run time.  Is it simply a time issue? have you timed the process to find out where the bottleneck is?  have you ruled out numpy/python solutions?

0 Kudos
FilipKrál
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestions.

I ended up using the ExtracValuesToPoints repeatedly on in_memory feature classes and built the resulting feature class that way, renaming the RASTERVALU column each time (i.e. copying the RASTERVALUE column to a new column and deleting RASTERVALU column).

Seems to work OK.

F.

0 Kudos