AnsweredAssumed Answered

Web App Builder hosted on AGO vs. WAB Developer Edition

Question asked by Rlittlefield on Nov 18, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 21, 2015 by MegPeterson

Hi,

We have used a few of Robert's Robert Scheitlin, GISP custom widgets in our web maps using ArcGIS Viewer for Flex. With that program being retired we are switching all of our web maps over to Web App Builder hosted on ArcGIS Online.

One of the nice things I like about WAB is that it is hosted on AGO. Before with flex, our maps were internal only and couldn't be accessed outside the network. With WAB since it is hosted on AGO all of our applications can be accessed outside of our network, which is great for our field crews and managers when they are in meetings or outside in the field.

I've seen that there are a lot of custom widgets for WAB which is great. I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. Since we are using WAB on AGO, I believe that means we can not use custom widgets, correct? If we wanted to use custom widgets, then we'd have to download the WAB Developer edition, then host it on our servers, like we did with flex, which would mean no outside access. Is that correct? I just want to make sure that there is no way to add custom widgets to WAB application that are hosted on AGO? Or there is not a way to download the existing code on WAB and edit it (add custom widgets), then upload it back to AGO for them to host it?

Thanks for any clarification.

Outcomes