Problem Using Shared Accounts for Editing Only?

11-19-2015 09:06 AM
MaryEllen_Perko
Occasional Contributor II

Hi.  We have a short-term project where about 60 users will be creating and editing features and attributes using a single feature layer hosted on arcgis online and edited using the map viewer.  To cut down on the number of users to add and maintain, I was thinking to create an account per team that would be shared.  Does anyone know if there would be a problem with multiple people using the same account at the same time to edit the data?  Users would not be creating and sharing new content.

Thanks,
Mary Ellen

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Legally this is not allowed. What I've been told, in my case because I want a generic username for publishing (by <agency> instead of a user name), I have a couple generic users that can be used for this, but I was told that all users that use this name still need to have separate named accounts.

Bout the only way to get around this is to have it as public....or talk to your customer rep/distributor to see if they have another solution.

0 Kudos
MaryEllen_Perko
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you.  Since we have unlimited users through an ELA, it didn't occur to me that there would be that kind of a problem.  I'm guessing that this is not something many do so no one will really know if it will cause problems during editing.  But, I am still curious. 

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Sorry, I was reading your question from the licensing aspect, but with the ELA that isn't the issue.  I'm sure others have probably done or thought of the same technical issue, and I'm also curious, but will not try to answer that.

0 Kudos