Survey123 Loading Survey Slowly after update

11-09-2015 10:58 AM
DanielHunter
New Contributor III

Greeting,

I recently updated my survey 123 app(1.1.16) and desktop software(1.1.19).  My app now takes nearly a minute to load every time.  Previously they were loading within 5-10 seconds.  Additionally, Survey123 website also exhibits a latency I did not encounter before.  Is this a known problem or it is on my end?  My xlsForm is attached

Thank you.

Tags (1)
14 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Daniel,

not your fault! The survey loading time has increased since we updated to v 18. We are working on getting this back in track.

Ismael

0 Kudos
MichaelGilbrook
New Contributor

Ismael - Is there a resolution to this problem? I was planning on using Survey123 in the field next week, but the 90 second - 2+ minute delay time for EVERY reload of the survey makes this tool unusable. I submitted an incident report to Esri Tech Support this morning (see below), but have not received any reply yet. Can you help? I need to make a go/no-go decision on whether to use Survey123 or revert to paper forms by tomorrow.

Michael

Submission
  Type

Incident

Problem
  Description

Survey123
  Excessive Startup Time

Detailed
  Description

We plan to use Survey123 for in-the-field interviews to be conducted the week of
  30 November. I created a survey called "JMH Parking" and
  successfully published it to ArcGIS Online. However, when I use the survey it
  takes a very long time (2 - 3 minutes) to load. The survey does finally load
  and works fine. After entering data and submitting the survey, it still takes
  2 - 3 minutes to again load the survey for the next interview. This excessive
  startup time will make Survey123 unsuitable for use in the field.

0 Kudos
DanielHunter
New Contributor III

While I'm not sure what esri may be doing to improve this, I'm still seeing the delay.

A few things that have helped me and you might be able to implement depending upon your survey configuration:

Reduce the number of items in pick lists

Separate into multi surveys

Also, are you up to date on versions both desktop and mobile?  Maybe that would help?  I know an update was pushed to my phone on the 17th.  It looks like Survey123 website got an overhaul last week.  Maybe some additional behind the scenes updates were implemented too.

We have crews out in the field so I didn't want to redownload the desktop app but maybe the desktop version has been updated?  I couldn't see a version while browsing the website.

My 2 cents.

0 Kudos
MichaelGilbrook
New Contributor

Thanks for the prompt reply, Daniel!

Re: Reducing the # of pick-list items, that isn't a viable option for me. We have a fairly long list of items for questions like "Where did you park?" and "Which building are you go to?" and we can't reduce the list. Ditto for separating into more than one survey, we need all the questions answered by the same respondent, and we can expect them to hang around while we switch surveys.

Re: Software versions, I have the latest version of the mobile app, but my desktop app was download on 23 October. I'll try downloading a new version of the desktop app and see if that makes any difference.

Would still like to hear from Ismael on this issue, given that it was a known problem that was being addressed...

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Michael,

I am looking at your Parking Survey.  We are planning to address the slow loading time in February 15. I understand that is too late for you. Let me look and see if we can optimize your form in any manner or look for an alternative solution. I will get back to you.

Ismael

0 Kudos
MichaelGilbrook
New Contributor

Daniel - I just downloaded and installed new desktop app (1.1.30) and confirmed that I am using the latest mobile version (1.1.18). No improvement in survey startup time.

0 Kudos
DanielHunter
New Contributor III

Thank you for the reply.  Good to know.

0 Kudos
Joseph_Kinyon
Occasional Contributor II

I am also experiencing prolonged loading times with updates like Michael above.

This is coming at an inopportune time as I am convincing a team to invest in this path and forms that were loading quickly now take 2-3 minutes to load, making a paper form faster to fill out.

Any progress on this issue?

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Joseph,  we are working on improving the performance issues but will not have any updates on this until Feb 15.

If you share the Form with us we will certainly use it to validate our progress with the performance improvements.

0 Kudos