ArcGIS Pro Requested operation could not be completed

Jump to solution
11-06-2015 12:22 PM
JasonHarshman
Occasional Contributor

I am using ArcGIS Pro 1.1 and trying to make some symbology changes on a feature class. Specifically, I am trying to format all symbols and trying to sort the label. In each instance, I get the error banner on top of the Symbology pane saying "Requested operation could not be completed." I'm new to Pro so I have no idea what this means or where to even begin troubleshooting other than closing Pro and trying again - which doesn't work.

Thanks,

Jason

Here's the error:

Capture.PNG

Message was edited by: Jason Harshman

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GregoryLehner
Esri Contributor

Hello everyone,

The error "Requested operation cannot be completed" is a generic error returned by the Symbology pane when it enters an invalid state.

Similar to "Error 999999", there are a variety of reasons this error can be returned by the application. If you see this error, and it is preventing you from proceeding with your symbology, please contact Esri Technical Support so we can troubleshoot the issue. Thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
24 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A few questions:

• What if you try to format all symbols, without sorting, does it error?
  • What exact steps are you taking to try and sort the label?
  • Can you elaborate about the field you are trying to format and sort?
    • What data type?
    • File geodatabase?  SDE?
0 Kudos
JasonHarshman
Occasional Contributor

I "fixed" the issue by removing the layer and then adding it back in. But to answer your questions:

• I wasn't able to format all the symbols, with or without sorting.
  • Right-click layer in contents>Symbology>Click the 'More' drop-down>Sort by>Label>Sort Ascending
  • My unique values were symbologized on two fields, a number field and a text field. It was a file GDB polygon feature class.
0 Kudos
TylerSchwartz2
Occasional Contributor II

This bug still exists in ArcGIS Pro 1.3.1

My symbology pane and ToC layer symbology do not match, when I try to click reverse order (symbology pane) for my classes, I get this error.

0 Kudos
EricElder
New Contributor III

And...still exists in 1.4.1

0 Kudos
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

I just tried this in a new Map Project 1.4.1 and it appears to be working as expected for me

Apr 18, 2017 10:11 AM.webm - Google Drive 

0 Kudos
GregMurrie
New Contributor

I have a large file of oil and gas production data in a geodatabase. I cannot symbolize this data by reservoir. 

0 Kudos
StantonBurton
New Contributor

This is happening for me in 1.4, but with proportional representation. I'm trying to represent plants proportionally based on feet/radius on a long field (which contains some nulls), and I get the same error as others mention, banner across the top of the tool with no other info apparent. The real problem is that we are not given enough information about why the tool is failing!...A wild guess in my case would be that the proportional symbology tool is not checking all the fields (there are like 20 in my case), doesn't find a numeric field type in the first few, and then assumes the tool won't work. Just a thought. 

0 Kudos
abogedain
New Contributor

This issue is happening for me in 2.4.2.  I imported symbology from a layer file and I can rename the labels, but I experience the "Requested operation could not be completed" issue banner when I try to rearrange or remove any symbol classes.  When I do remove a symbol class, not only do I get the stated issue banner, but all the labels cycle one up and the label of the selected class becomes the label of the last class in the symbology class list.  Is this something I am doing wrong or is it an Esri programming issue?  I would think I should be able to import symbology from a layer file and then edit that symbology to fit the needs of any map I work on, or to improve that layer with new symbology and then save over it, otherwise I have to build from the ground up and that would be very time consuming when dealing with complex symbology.

0 Kudos
SandonLettieri
New Contributor II

I am getting the same error when trying to configure a valid a Arcade expression. 

0 Kudos