AnsweredAssumed Answered

Unusual labelling behaviour in ArcGIS Pro that seems to be related to output resolution

Question asked by MervynLotter on Nov 5, 2015
Latest reply on Apr 11, 2018 by p.norris

I just want to share with you some unusual labelling behaviour in ArcGIS Pro. I dont think it is anything that I am doing wrong, but perhaps someone may know the reasons why this is happening or have suggestions for a better work-around? I am hoping this issue may be rectified in future releases as it is really complicating my current workflow.

I have a large A0 map (46 x 33 inches) with a lot of cadastral data that I label. There are probably around 900 features that are labelled on the map. In the map I include a layer of our local municipalities as large single-part polygons. I only want to display one label per municipality and the map output needs to be in TIFF.

Under label class properties I have changed the default settings to Remove duplicate labels as well as ticked Label largest part.

When exporting low resolution (100 dpi) maps, the output map is created correctly and I only have one label per municipality. But when exporting as a high-resolution map (300dpi), the labels for each of the 7 municipalities is repeated several times no matter what setting I use. Therefore the adherence to label settings seems to be resolution dependent for tiff and JPEG images in maps with many features labelled. This problem is not repeated for PDF and I find the PDF map outputs great (but not what I need).

The one work-around I have thought of is to create points and label these, but I have not yet tried this. Other ideas?

Outcomes