Add webMap as layer to ArcGIS satellite mapView for iOS app project

11-04-2015 09:17 AM
JakeBailosky
New Contributor

I'm trying to code in a basic ArcGIS workflow into my iOS project. I am new to this platform and can use some pointers. My workflow is as follows.

1.) Create mapView displaying satellite (world style) map.

2.) Add a public webMap from my user account on ArcGIS Online as an overlay/layer on the satellite map.

What I've tried

//.h

#import <ArcGIS/ArcGIS.h>

@interface ViewController : UIViewController <AGSWebMapDelegate>

@property (strong, nonatomic) IBOutlet AGSMapView *mapView;

//.m

// Add basemap

NSURL* url = [NSURL URLWithString:@"http://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/World_Imagery/MapServer"];

AGSTiledMapServiceLayer *tiledLayer = [AGSTiledMapServiceLayer tiledMapServiceLayerWithURL:url];

[self.mapView addMapLayer:tiledLayer withName:@"Basemap Tiled Layer"];

//If I run this part alone, I'll get the satellite map.

AGSWebMap* webmap = [[AGSWebMap alloc] initWithItemId:@"bb9b8c172e8142f995526bf658078f54" credential:nil];

webmap.delegate = self;

[webmap openIntoMapView:self.mapView];

//When I add this webMap code and run the project, I get a blank white screen.

//.m cont.

- (void)mapViewDidLoad:(AGSMapView *) mapView {

NSLog(@"mapView didLoad");   

}

- (void) webMapDidLoad:(AGSWebMap*) webMap {

NSLog(@"webmap added successfully");

}

//Neither of these logs get called.

Questions.

1.) Is it right to use AGSTiledMapServiceLayer as my basemap? Also, is it right to use AGSWebMap for my ArcGIS Online map?

2.) My goal is to be able to add and remove multiple layers to and from a satellite basemap, one at a time. Am I on the right track?

I'm currently using MapBox to achieve this but I'm starting to experiment with ArcGIS SDK and it's features.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
YueWu1
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jake,

I think you are in the right track. You can take a look about this two samples and download from github to your local to test with. One is WebmapSample​ and the other sample is Use ArcGIS basemaps—ArcGIS Runtime SDK for iOS | ArcGIS for Developers

Hope this can help.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
GagandeepSingh
Occasional Contributor II

I had a look at your code. You are on the right track, just missing a couple of things.

1. Create the `webmap` property as an instance variable, to keep it in memory and in order to execute the delegate methods.

2. Add the following delegate method, to catch errors while loading web map

-(void)webMap:(AGSWebMap *)webMap didFailToLoadWithError:(NSError *)error

The web map you are using is not loading for some reason (may be, credential is required). Are you able to open the map online?

0 Kudos