AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to flip (change direction) of multiple polylines at once?

Question asked by ben_vk on Nov 3, 2015
Latest reply on Jun 14, 2017 by laggymclaginpants

Hi All,

I have got a sewer mains feature class where the direction the lines are drawn is crutial in order for me to perform tasks down the track (sewer flow model). I have been given a large chunk of data which is great, but the direction of the polylines was not important to the last custodian, so I need to flip literally hundreds of lines.

I have done a quick google search and I understand that ESRI suggest I do it this way, but what I am hoping is to be able to make a python button (or similar) where I can select a dozen polylines, press the button and the flip tool is run on all these selected polylines.

Does anyone have any python tools or even ESRI tools that may streamline this process?

EDIT:

I have found this tool, it seems like it will do what I want it to do - ArcGIS Desktop Flip Tool

I now have a minor workaround that will work, I can export the polylines needing flipping, run this tool on that feature class, then bring them back in, so my problem is partly solved in this instance.

I am curious for future reference if there is a way to use a map selection in a python tool? Does anyone have an example script where it utilises current selection, performs some kind of action, then ends? This would be my ideal solution.

Thanks for your time.

Outcomes