StoryMap Series (tabbed)

Jump to solution
10-30-2015 09:33 AM
JenniferMcRuer
New Contributor II

Hi - I would like to use the Story Map Series (tabbed) to create my story of place: Five tabs, same map, but different themes.

Within each tab/associated map, I would like to add pushpins (or similar) so users can click to zoom into a location and see a particular thumbnail image (geotagged)/narrative block, etc. A sequential order is not important. 

Is there a way to do this/a template to guide this kind of storymap?

Can geotagged photos be added to a Series StoryMap from Flicker, for example?

Is there an option for adding pushpins to tabbed maps to highlight particular locations?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

Jennifer

You may consider the Story Map Tour instead of the tabbed?  It supports all of the questions you mentioned (zoom, geotagged photos, Flickr).

Story Map Tour | Story Maps

If you wanted them all together you create five separate tours and then embed each in a tab in the Story Map Series.

Kyle

View solution in original post

8 Replies
KyleBalke__GISP

Jennifer

You may consider the Story Map Tour instead of the tabbed?  It supports all of the questions you mentioned (zoom, geotagged photos, Flickr).

Story Map Tour | Story Maps

If you wanted them all together you create five separate tours and then embed each in a tab in the Story Map Series.

Kyle

JenniferMcRuer
New Contributor II

Thanks Kyle!

I have considered the tour, I was just trying to do what you have suggested...but in one step! - i.e., skip the embedding 😃  Do you know of any story map examples that have taken your approach? I'm trying to envision what the embedded series map would look like...

Jen

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Jennifer,

Here's a quick example I just worked up with a few embedded Map Tours so you can see what it will look like.

http://arcg.is/1XFgR88

Make sure to select the "stretch" option for positioning your content and don't include any description so the panel won't appear and obscure the map tour.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Also, if you want to remove the header for the embedded map tours you can just add &embed to the end of the URL like this.

http://esripm.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapTour/index.html?appid=948a853492444b518993045cee0d0bad&webmap=...

I did this with the Presidential Birthplaces tour in the example posted above.

Owen

Owen Evans
MelissaMcGehee1
New Contributor III

Funny, we were typing the same thing at the same time.

KyleBalke__GISP

Or you may consider the Shortlist template...unfortunately you currently have to host it yourself

Story Map Shortlist | Story Maps

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Shortlist should be available as a hosted app with a builder experience in the March 2016 release.

Owen Evans
MelissaMcGehee1
New Contributor III

Also, when embedding, add "&embed" at the end of the URL for the Story Map to be embedded. Helps remove some of the extra content that you don't need and gives it a cleaner appearance.