Broadband question

10-30-2015 12:32 PM
StanleyMubako1
New Contributor

What is the minimum broadband capacity (bandwidth) required to support ArcGIS Online operations? I would like to check whether a school has adequate broadband capacity before going in to do activities using ArcGIS Online.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Although I haven't found any minimum bandwidth in the documentation (so far anyway), the off-the-cuff answer would be as much as you can get. Of course many factors go into this, including how many will be accessing at the same time, what type of services are you using and drawing, etc. Since online is basically "the cloud", the processing is done there, but the data and the user interface needs to change (up- down- load) as it is used. So, it's not that a slower connection won't work, but students in this "instant access" generation may get frustrated. I know even staff in some of our regional offices in Alaska get frustrated with the response and therefore don't  always use it (but some of their home connections are faster).  So, that is all opinion, but thought I'd get the conversation started.

0 Kudos