ArcMap does not detect actual conflicts

Jump to solution
10-30-2015 11:16 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey folks,

I'm attempting to reconcile an EDIT version with the DEFAULT version. Using Version Changes from the Versioning toolbar, I can see that there are 72 changes/differences/edits between the versions. However, when I enter an Edit session and click Reconcile, I'm given no option to review the conflicts. I'd very much like to manually reject/accept the edits using the Identify Conflicts window that typically pops up during the reconcile process before I post my edits.

I've tried all combinations of options in the reconcile tool with same results.

What is going wrong? Why are these obvious differences not being flagged as conflicts by ArcMap? Does it not recognize that they are the same features that have been changed?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. It has to be something simple - like the way a clearing of a cache would work, or something like that. We're running ArcGIS 10.3 with a 10.0 geodatabase on SQL Server.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Yes, those will not be considered as conflicts.

You can note down the Edits that don't seem right in the EDIT version using the Version Changes option, and ask the editor to correct them. Then do the Reconcile\Post.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

The conflict will occur if the same feature has been modified in both the versions, DEFAULT and EDIT version. Is that your scenario?

If yes, try making a small identifiable change in both versions and try the Reconcile once more.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Actually, what I'm really trying to do is view all my edits and accept/reject them. It's a sort of Q&A of the edits that were made before posting them. Ideally, ​Version Changes ​would allow me to accept/reject changes in favor of one version or the other but I do not have that option.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

is there not an extra step you have to complete? Reconciling a version—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Dan, thanks for the reply. I do click Reconcile. Ideally, when you enter an Edit session and click Reconcile, you're given the option to review conflicts. OR, you can click Version Changes during the reconcile process to not only view the changes but also accept/reject in favor of either version.

Like I said, Version Changes shows that there are changes - but I do not have the option of accepting the edits on a change-by-change basis. Obviously I don't want to just Post and be done with it, I want to review the edits and reject them as I see fit.

I've tried logging into the geodatabase as both the sde user as well as our own gdb_admin user (sde owns the DEFAULT version, gdb_admin owns the EDIT version). No luck.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Ok I see now.  Not fun.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Version Changes will only display the change between two versions. It won't give you the option to accept\reject edits.

The conflict, as I mentioned, will only arise if the same feature has been modified in both the versions. Otherwise no conflict will be detected and Reconcile will complete without any prompt.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Got it.

So, there's no way for me to view all these edits and accept/reject them? I just have to post them whether I like the edit or not?? For whatever reason, they're not considered "conflicts" even though the edits make those features different than the DEFAULT version.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Yes, those will not be considered as conflicts.

You can note down the Edits that don't seem right in the EDIT version using the Version Changes option, and ask the editor to correct them. Then do the Reconcile\Post.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Interesting. OK.

I think it would be incredibly handy to have the same functionality of the 'Conflicts accept/reject window' apply to Edits or Version Changes. If there are a ton of edits, it's easier to accept/reject them during the Post process on the fly rather than noting them, closing out of the Reconcile/Post edit session, going back and reverting the edit, and then going back in.