Georeferenced tiffs crash ArcMap 10.2.2

10-27-2015 08:23 AM
ElizabethB
New Contributor III

Ever since we upgraded to version 10, I'm having issues with using georeferenced tiffs in ArcMap. Here's my workflow - I receive a plat, then add it to ArcMap, georeference it, and then I sketch in streets and assign addresses.  At version 10, when I begin this task, after anywhere from 10-15 minutes, ArcMap starts gobbling up my  memory and eventually becomes unresponsive.  I am reduced to keeping my task manager open so I can watch out for the rapid increase in memory and (hopefully) save my mxd before it locks up, usually when it's close to 3 gigs eaten.

I have seen references to a memory leak but that was supposedly fixed at version 10.2 ( I thought) - others have said to remove the georeferencing toolbar from the mxd, and save it, then close out and reopen - that didn't help.

This occurs whether I am using an existing mxd, or I've also built new ones, and after rectifying the image, I will close out that mxd and create a new mxd using only the rectified image so I don't need to use the georeferencing toolbar any longer - it still occurs. It's gotten so bad, I can't do my work. If I am interrupted, say by a phone call, I have sat at my desk, not interacting with ArcMap, and watched it go from 120 Mb or so on my task manager, then it steadily and rapidly climbs to around 3 gigs, becomes nonresponsive, and my only choice is to End Task and start over.

Does anyone have any ideas? This is causing me HUGE problems in my daily work.  I'm using Windows 8.1, our sde is in Sql 2014 (this was a recent upgrade and my problems started before the upgrade).  I usually  have both sde layers and personal geodatabase layers in my mxd.  Here's a snippet of my Task Manager when ArcMap is non responsive.

TaskMgr.JPG

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Elizabeth,

Probably will need to do some trouble shooting to see what is exactly causing the issue.  For example,

1.  Copy the data from your SDE geodatabase to a File Geodatabase.  Does the same issue occur?

2.  Copy the data from your Personal geodatabase to a File Geodatabase.  Does the same issue occur?  I would recommend working with File Geodatabases over Personal.  Personal Geodatabases have a 2 GB limit, and you are unable to publish data to ArcGIS Server from these geodatabases.

3.  Is there another machine with a different OS (i.e Windows 7) you could test?

0 Kudos
ElizabethB
New Contributor III

Thanks for the quick reply, Jake!

My personal geodatabase is pretty small - it's just to hold my sketched streets and preliminary addresses. I use it strictly on my own computer for drafts.  I guess I'm too old-school - I need to switch to the file geodatabase format!

There's a spare Windows XP computer around here, but I'm pretty sure I had this problem on my old, Windows 7 machine. But I wouldn't swear to it.

Will post my test results. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
ElizabethB
New Contributor III

OK, I put my data into a file geodatabase, created a new mxd, and added only the file geodatabase layers and a tiff.  I rectified it, started editing my layer, then left it alone on my desktop, and opened Task Manager. After about 20 minutes, memory usage climbed to 2.8 gigs and the map window greyed out.

I can't use the XP machine today, but I'll try it tomorrow if possible.

0 Kudos
ElizabethB
New Contributor III

Ok, I was able to test this on a PC with Windows 7, and ArcMap 10.0. I created a new mxd, added two layers from my file geodatabase, then added a tiff, & then added the georeferencing toolbar.  I chose the Update Georeferencing option, and then added that georef'd tiff to my mxd.  After that, ArcMap quit working.  Capture2.JPG

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Have you reproduced this with other TIFF images?

0 Kudos
ElizabethB
New Contributor III

Yes, this happens every time I work with any tiff.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

I would recommend reaching out to Tech Support and ask them to remote into your machine.  They can start to trouble shoot this and determine what is causing the issue.

ElizabethB
New Contributor III

Ok thanks for the help, anyway!

0 Kudos
PaulLarcombe
New Contributor

We are experiencing very similar problems to the ones outlined in this thread. Was a successful solution to this memory leak problem ever identified?

If so, we would be very interested in hearing about it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos