Developer applications in Story Map Journal

Jump to solution
10-27-2015 03:51 AM
FriedrichStriewski1
New Contributor III

For test purposes I'd like to use applications and widgets from ArcGIS f. Developer in Story Map Journal. From what I've learned it is not possible to use customized apps in AGOL  so I would modify and download the sandbox code (as html file), upload it to my webserver and access the map-application through a webmap / iframe container in the main stage.

Is there any way to improve this workflow? Will the web application builder be of any use?

How will users be authenticated, as my app is not registered with AGOL?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III

Having your Map Journal hosted in ArcGIS Online and integrating custom apps through the Main Stage is the workflow we recommend.   As you noted there is no way to use ArcGIS Online has an hosting platform for your custom application so the only other workflow is that you also host the Journal on your server. If Web App Builder has in standard a widget that fits your need that would avoid you to create a custom app but that's the same idea.

About securing it. As your custom application will be under a different web domain, it won't benefits from the user identity. What we usually recommend is that those application are public if you know there URL. If those application are using Map or Layers that are private, a user that tries to access them directly would be prompted to sign-in. When accessed through the Journal, the user will also unfortunately have to sign-in because that app is not on the same domain that the Journal.

For you custom app, if you use the API by default, the identity manager prompt will pop-in, you could also use OAuth (see OAuth Basic | ArcGIS API for JavaScript) this gave you a nicer prompt and one big advantage: the user will only have to sign-in once and not every time he load the Journal like in the first case.

Having the user sign-in inside the app is often not well received. Workaround would be to host the Journal yourself and secure it's access through OAuth too, that way user would not get prompted to sign-in for your custom app.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III

Having your Map Journal hosted in ArcGIS Online and integrating custom apps through the Main Stage is the workflow we recommend.   As you noted there is no way to use ArcGIS Online has an hosting platform for your custom application so the only other workflow is that you also host the Journal on your server. If Web App Builder has in standard a widget that fits your need that would avoid you to create a custom app but that's the same idea.

About securing it. As your custom application will be under a different web domain, it won't benefits from the user identity. What we usually recommend is that those application are public if you know there URL. If those application are using Map or Layers that are private, a user that tries to access them directly would be prompted to sign-in. When accessed through the Journal, the user will also unfortunately have to sign-in because that app is not on the same domain that the Journal.

For you custom app, if you use the API by default, the identity manager prompt will pop-in, you could also use OAuth (see OAuth Basic | ArcGIS API for JavaScript) this gave you a nicer prompt and one big advantage: the user will only have to sign-in once and not every time he load the Journal like in the first case.

Having the user sign-in inside the app is often not well received. Workaround would be to host the Journal yourself and secure it's access through OAuth too, that way user would not get prompted to sign-in for your custom app.