Rainfall animation

10-26-2015 12:16 PM
ChiragDanech
New Contributor

All,

I am working on animating rainfall data based on time series. We have 15 min NRT (Near Real Time) rainfall data stored in Oracle. And we have Rain Grid polygon (35000 records) data stored in Enterprise Geodatabase. The use cases are based on following time frames.

             15 minute data for the past 6 hours,

             1 hour data for the past 24 hours,  

             3 hour data for the past 3 days,

             6 hour data for the past 7 days,

             1 day data for the past 30 days,

I am using ArcGIS API for JavaScript and it's Time Slider control to filter and render data based on above time series.For each above time frame we have a temp table and I have created spatial view using RainGrid layer and temp table and publish it as a map service so I can consume it using arcgis js web app.

Due to high volume of data (500K+), I am seeing poor performance and it take lots of time to render. Does anyone has better approach or any tips to improve performance?

Appreciate any response.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
thejuskambi
Occasional Contributor III

How big(extent) are the Rain Grid polygon, as I understand for any opition, you have about 24 - 30 records for each polygon.so if you can restrict the number of polygon that can be visible at a time. That can improve the performance. Let me know if I understand correctly.

0 Kudos
ChiragDanech
New Contributor

Each grid size is 1x1 mile and total grid count is 35000. That rain grid layer is for entire region. I am already restricting polygons if rainfall values are not there.But if I consider worse case scenarios like heavy rainfall or flood in that region then all the grid will have some rainfall values. Now every 15 mins, we are getting rainfall values so If I want to show 6 hrs data then I have to deal with total 840000 (35000 * 4 (15 min)  * 6  hrs). Now if half region has rainfall then also I have to deal with 120000 records.

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Can you filter by zoom level? I mean, I don't know quite how you would code this but something like only showing the full data detail when zoomed in and then something more generalized at smaller scales.

0 Kudos