Fetching base map information

Jump to solution
10-26-2015 02:57 PM
RainerFarsch
New Contributor III

I have a bathymetry map that is a map of ocean depths - the deeper the blue the deeper the ocean. The map is provided as a .mxd file. I can open this file in ArcGIS Desktop and I'm able to click on it using the Identify cursor to query for depth at the clicked location.

Next I rendered this map into a '.tpk' file that I open using ArcGISLocalTiledLayer in ArcGIS Runtime. So my question is: can I get depth information in ArcGIS Runtime from the base map like was I able to get in ArcGIS Desktop?

One idea I've heard is to create a feature table in ArcGIS Desktop containing depth information and using that for depth information in ArcGIS Runtime; but I was curious if there is a way to get it directly from the base map - either in this release (10.2.6) or in a future release (Quartz).

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor

To elaborate a bit, the TPK is basically a compressed file of a bunch of images in a specific folder structure, so the attributes associated with the data for identify in ArcMap are no longer with the TPK once it is created. If you created a new, blank MXD and brought the TPK into ArcMap, I don't believe the identify operation will tell you the same information as what you saw with the original MXD.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
LucasDanzinger

Hey Rainer-

Are you working only offline (with a TPK and ArcGISLocalTiledLayer) or also online (with an ArcGISTiledMapServiceLayer)?

-Luke

0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger

The reason I ask is because with ArcGISTiledMapServiceLayer (online), you can set up the service so that you can run a query against it. However, you won't be able to do this with the ArcGISLocalTiledLayer and a TPK.

0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger

To elaborate a bit, the TPK is basically a compressed file of a bunch of images in a specific folder structure, so the attributes associated with the data for identify in ArcMap are no longer with the TPK once it is created. If you created a new, blank MXD and brought the TPK into ArcMap, I don't believe the identify operation will tell you the same information as what you saw with the original MXD.

0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger

And we are considering adding something for searching for features in a basemap layer at Quartz, however it would likely be using something other than a TPK with an ArcGISLocalTiledLayer. Hope that helps!

-Luke

0 Kudos
RainerFarsch
New Contributor III

Will I be able to render something (not a .tpk file) from the .mxd file in ArcGIS Desktop that I could then use in Quartz for searching the base map?

0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger

The full story is not yet worked out, but it will likely be through a package that can be created in ArcGIS Pro, and can then be consumed in ArcGIS Runtime APIs and ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
RainerFarsch
New Contributor III

Thanks Luke,

Let me dig a bit deeper. If I wanted to compute the mean and standard deviation of the depths within a circular buffer placed on the map, would this future (Quartz-compatible) package allow for this? Or would I be better served using something else - like creating a feature table of gridded depths from the base map raster using ArcMap, and then using a buffer in ArcGIS Runtime to compute the mean and standard deviation of the depth features lying within the circular buffer?

Thanks.

-Rainer

0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger

If your data are in vector format and you are using the new type of package, something like this should probably be possible, though I can't say for certain, as we are still in the early stages of design. The alternative workflow you suggested would work as well.

Another feature we will have at Quartz is support for raw raster files (tiff, jpg, etc), so if you have bathymetry data that are already in raster format, this may end up being the best route to go. You could have a raster function that did something like your buffer workflow that you suggested.

-Luke

0 Kudos
RainerFarsch
New Contributor III

Thanks Luke,

Which ever way I go: (1) Feature table (now), (2) new package type (Quartz), or (3) direct from raster (I have a .tif file)(Quartz) - how do I best go about computing the mean and standard deviation of the depths within a buffer region with ArcGIS Runtime? Sorry if this is a newbie question.

Thanks.

-Rainer

0 Kudos