ArcGIS Server Basic\Enterprise,

Jump to solution
10-22-2015 10:01 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Server Basic\Enterprise,

I couldn’t figure out if the “ArcGIS Server Basic\Enterprise” is available within the structure of ArcGIS. If so, is one able to:

• Connect to Enterprise geodatabase (Oracle, SQL Server, etc.)
  • Edit Enterprise geodatabase (Oracle, SQL Server, etc.)
  • Publish feature service (editable service)

Thank you

Best

Jamal

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LievenDE_ROO
New Contributor II

Yes, You can publish but only to visualize and query the features.

I would not use the term levels because it is used when esri speaks of the arcgis online account to indicate the number of named users.

But those are the six possibilities and they are in order of cost I think.

lieven

View solution in original post

10 Replies
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Domenico,

1. Sure. I refered to that document but couldn’t find clear answer to mu enquiry.

Is the ArcGIS Server Basic\Enterprise can Connect and EDIT enterprise geodatabase such as Oracle and SQL Server?

Is it able to publish feature service?

Clip_68.jpg

Clip_69.jpg

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor

Is the ArcGIS Server Basic\Enterprise can Connect and EDIT enterprise geodatabase such as Oracle and SQL Server? Yes. You need arcgis desktop std or adv for geodatabase management

Is it able to publish feature service? Yes for map visualization and query

LievenDE_ROO
New Contributor II

Hi Jamal,

I want to clearify some things for you by giving an example of an arcgis enviroment.

I want to publish a service which is going to be used by civilians who report unsafe road situations.

I need 4 things: arcgis Desktop

A (geo)database

Arcgis Server

a way to communicate the service with the civilians that means I will need a Portal ( arcgis online or Portal for arcgis)

The arcgis Desktop is going to be used to publish our connection with the (geo)database to our arcgis server.

To manage the database we need at least license level standard. Basic doesn't do the tric.
(Set up an enterprise geodatabase in SQL Server—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop )

You publish your data to your arcgis Server with feature access. With a basic license you only can publish feature services with read-only functionality. With standard and advanced you can publish with read and write functionality.

The difference relevant for our example between Arcgis server license X Workgroup or Enterprise is that workgroup ships with MSQL server express 2012 which is limited up to 10GB.  The difference between them is more in terms of capacity and not in terms of functionality like the license level. ( You can check these things in the functionality matrix).

If you plan some purchases or so you should certainly ask your local esri commercial representative.

Lieven

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Domenico and Lieven,

At my workplace, we have ArcGIS standard\enterprise but I wanted to be more aware about the functionalities available in other license levels.

I thought that EDITING (enterprise geodatabase) and publishing FEATURE SERVICE (with edit property) is possible the ArcGIS Server Basic\Enterprise

By the way, it is not an easy job to be really aware about the functionalities of 9 combinations!

Desktop

Workgroup

Enterprise

Desktop

Standard

Advanced

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jamal,

Just to clarify some of the comments in your 2nd post: the ArcGIS 10.3.1 for Server functionality matrix does document information on what ArcGIS Server Basic can do.

The screen shots you took of the functionality matrix are from page 3, but at the end of the table (on page 4) there is a note that says: "For more information about each category, see the Functionality Matrix Details section of this document." This section begins about mid-way on page 7.

More detailed info each web service type is summarized in a table at the top of page 10, and this is where we've noted that ArcGIS Server Basic only supports read-only feature services.

table.jpg

FYI, more detailed information on the supported database platforms are covered in the Support for Spatially Enabled Databases section starting at the bottom of page 15.

Hope this helps,

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Many thanks Lieven, Domenico, and Derek.

I’m not sure if I correctly understood the trick.

1. Can the ArcGIS Basic\Enterprise still PUBLISH enterprise geodatabase feature class but the “feature access” property can’t be checked?

Clip_603.jpg

2.Is the ArcGIS Desktop Basic able to CONNECT to enterprise geodatabase feature class (ArcGIS Basic\Enterprise is available)

Clip_604.jpg

3. Is the ArcGIS Desktop Basic able to EDIT enterprise geodatabase feature class (ArcGIS Basic\Enterprise)

4.Who about:

1. ArcGIS Server Desktop\Desktop (Personal)
    2. ArcGIS Server Standard\Desktop (Personal)
    3. ArcGIS Server Advanced\Desktop (Personal)

Clip_602.jpg

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
LievenDE_ROO
New Contributor II

1.No you can't . you would receive the high warning "the layer's data source is not supported (feature service)" when publishing with feature access. You have no means to create an enterprise database with a basic license. But in theory you can publish with basic server only with "query feature acces"

2. I checked it. And i can connect with a database i previously made with an advanced license. I can't edit however.

3. No

4. Can you explain your last question more?

Lieven

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Lieven,

#1: In the Matrix guide, it stays that one can publish feature access service but editing will never be possible. At the end: can the ArcGIS Server basic\enterprise Publish feature service or not?

Clip_605.jpg

#4: How many levels of licensing do we have for ArcGIS Server? Are they 6 or 9?

ArcGIS Server basic\workgroup

ArcGIS Server standard\workgroup

ArcGIS Server advanced\workgroup

ArcGIS Server basic\enterprise

ArcGIS Server standard\enterprise

ArcGIS Server advanced\enterprise

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos