Stop adding the “topographic” service each time a new map is created in ArcGIS Pro,

Jump to solution
10-24-2015 11:49 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Stop adding the “topographic” service each time a new map is created in ArcGIS Pro,

I couldn’t figure out if there is a way to stop adding the “topographic” service each time a new map is created.

How to ban the automatic adding of the “topographic” service?

Clip_76.jpg

Thank you

Best

Jamal

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GabrielUpchurch1
Occasional Contributor III

Give the following procedure a try and let us know if it works.  I am not sure how persistent the setting is between projects but it seemed to carry over for me during some quick tests.

1. Select the Project tab (first screenshot below) to open the backstage.

2. Select "Options" (second screenshot).

3. Select "Map and Scene" in the Options dialog (second screenshot).

4. Change the Basemap setting to "None" (second screenshot).

5. Select "OK" to commit the change (second screenshot).

Project_Tab.jpg

Backstage.jpg

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

are you using your own template or one provided?  maybe change it or create your own... lots of stuff in this menu tree

Project templates—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Please, have a look on how I started my project\map. In this scenario, as the map is created, the “topographic” service is automatically added.

I’m not sure if there is a setting that bans the “topographic” service to be added by default to the created map.

Clip_78.jpg

Clip_79.jpg

Clip_80.jpg

Clip_81.jpg

Jamal Numan
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

create your own template and see if that controls it...I wouldn't be surprised that the blank project defaults to some sort of base layer, if you didn't add it yourself...give the new template a new name like ... a_blank_aprx

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Dan, have you used Pro much?

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

just lost my whole repy to you so to make it short What's new in ArcGIS Pro 1.1—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

You get used to it

Not everything is there yet

The really important and good stuff (aka new python/numpy/scipy/pandas etc) is taking a backseat to the neat maps styles etc...but oh well

Some analysis new, some missing, some nice (space-time cube, more las etc)

You will get used to it... remember the transition from AV2.x/3.x when the "sky was falling in"?  same thing, change is opposed, the naysayers shuffle off and acceptance reigns for a little while longer.

Pro gui is gui-ish for those that work that way and for some great/for others less so.

I would suggest that you make a parallel transition particularly if you are doing the analysis side.  I haven't invested in python toolboxes yet after being stung by the abandonment of dialog designer and its complete lack of comparable replacement.  I stick with conventional toolboxes until I am sure that it the way they are going to go.  On that side, the python toolboxes are simple to create given a D.D background, but limiting in the required names for classes, procedures tools etc.  Time will tell, I tend to do most of my analysis tapping into arcpy and only using ArcMap "whatever" when I want to use a selection and interact with them whilst testing code.

Enough for now.

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Jamal, I think this is the behavior when you create a new map. You're kind of stuck with it.

My suggestion is to create a project with a few maps in it (with the base map deleted) and  save that project as a template.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Yup... that's the way... it is like using a template for a wordprocessing document or a spreadsheet...it looks so much cooler if there is something already there... Create your own...their blank is not your blank

GabrielUpchurch1
Occasional Contributor III

Give the following procedure a try and let us know if it works.  I am not sure how persistent the setting is between projects but it seemed to carry over for me during some quick tests.

1. Select the Project tab (first screenshot below) to open the backstage.

2. Select "Options" (second screenshot).

3. Select "Map and Scene" in the Options dialog (second screenshot).

4. Change the Basemap setting to "None" (second screenshot).

5. Select "OK" to commit the change (second screenshot).

Project_Tab.jpg

Backstage.jpg

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thank you very much Gabriel. It works fine. Very much appreciated

Best

Jamal

Clip_112.jpg

Jamal Numan