Resricting access to one feature dataset in SDE

11-16-2010 05:38 PM
MicheleH_DNReply
New Contributor III
Hi all,

I'll just preface this question by saying that I'm not too good with SDE and SQL Server - I fiddle round the edges but I don't really understand it all too well.

We are using database authentication rather than our windows logins to connect to SDE (yes - I know thats not the recommended way of doing things but that is a whole other battle 🙂 ) and we are using SDE9.2 and SQL Server 2005.

What I would like to do is create a user that can only see one feature dataset in our geodatabase and can only read the feature classes there, not edit.

I have managed to create the login and user etc in SQL Server and I've set the privileges in ArcCatalog to Select for that user only on the one feature dataset but when I create a connection to SDE using that user it can still see everything in our geodatabase.

Is it possible to do this?  If so can someone point me in the right direction?  If not, can someone put me out of my misery?

Thanks for your help,
Michele Hosking.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeffDeWeese
Esri Contributor
If a user does not have select permissions on another users�??s feature classes or object classes, then the first user will not see these objects listed in ArcCatalog or when using Add Data.  However, what they will see are Feature Datasets and Relationship classes, and special classes, like the Geometric Network (things that are not really database tables). However, this is post 9.2 functionality since at 9.2 you would see everything listed in the GDB_ObjectClasses table, regardless of permissions.

Jeff DeWeese
Esri Enterprise Systems Architect
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Michele,

Just to add onto what Jeff posted, below are some resources in the ArcGIS 9.2 help documentation that you might find useful:

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos