Does the size of data fields included in the attribute table of a feature class affect the performance if the feature class is published?

10-20-2015 01:23 AM
AhmadSALEH1
Occasional Contributor III

Does the size of data fields included in the attribute table of a feature class affect the performance if the feature class is published?

Hello,

I am wondering if the number of the fields included in the attribute table of a feature class affect the performance if the feature class is published.

Let’s assume that I have 2 F.C’s both of them contains a 1000 features, but one of them have 20 fields and the other one have 5 fields, now  if the features was published using the ArcGIS server, will the one with the 5 fields will be more efficient than the one with 20 fields. Does the number fields affecte the layer performance or the server performance or both of them?!

Regards,

Ahmad Saleh

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You first have to consider the file size.  1000 points with 20 fields of a single integer value is going to be smaller than 1000 polygons with 5 fields of large floating point numbers.  Load times are one thing, querying is another.

AhmadSALEH1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Dan,

Let’s say that I have a F.C that have 1000 points and 5 fields, then I added another 15 fields to the same F.C, and now I have a F.C with 1000 points and 20 Fields.

What the might be effects of this operation (Performance,...,…)

Many Thanks,

Ahmad Saleh

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I am talking file size on disk not the number of features or rows...their type and content will control file size

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ahmad, some times you just need to do a test with your real data.  Maybe turn on the browsers "dev tools" to see timing.   If you do test, it wouold be interesting to hear your results.  As Dan mentioned, there are too many variables that can make a difference.