Presenting results from OD Matrix

Jump to solution
10-18-2015 08:24 AM
HazelAng1
New Contributor

Hi all

Is it possible to present data from OD Matrix according to the number of trips from each Origin to each Destination?

The case is I have one single origin now that goes to 10 other destinations. Every destination has a different demand.. Some are more popular and some are not. So is it possible to present this difference using ArcMap? I tried playing with the OD Matrix solver but it always just give me the straight lines to illustrate the trips from the origin to the destinations. Would be good if it is possible to vary the thickness of lines to show which stops are more popular such as having very thick lines for destinations that are very popular and thin lines for unpopular destinations.

Any suggestion would really be appreciated!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

If you have only 1 origin and 10 destinations, I would suggest that you use the Location-Allocation solver and load them as 1 facility and 10 demand points (mapping in the demand weight as the weight of that location).

Solve the LA layer with the default settings of Minimize Impedance for 1 location.

The output Lines feature class will be straight lines just as OD Cost Matrix, but more importantly they will have a "weight" field where the original demand weight is copied in. Now you can simply use this to symbolize the line thickness with a graduated symbol based on the Weight field.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

did you see the example here?  and the discussion here?

HazelAng1
New Contributor

Hi Dan

I have just read through them but they do not really address the problem I am facing now which is to modify the 'lines' in OD matrix to have varying thickness.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If the layer has a table, can't you just change its symbology under properties? perhaps it is classed as single symbol

0 Kudos
RamB
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi

These are called desire line diagrams. This is very simple although not direct. You can save the OD matrix to have the following format (txt file) with a small excel macro. I did with a small dummy data as following

Line

1000 1

0 50 50 0 0

1 1500000 550000 0 0

END

2000 1

0 50 50 0 0

1 3000000 3000000 0 0

END

translated to OD matrix it will be

Line

Flow_value_to_destination1 1

first_point_of_line   x_coor_Origin1 y_coor_Origin1 0 0

second_point_of_line   x_coor_destination1 y_coor_destination1 0 0

END

Flow_value_to_destination2 1

first_point_of_line   x_coor_Origin1 y_coor_Origin1 0 0

second_point_of_line   x_coor_destination2 y_coor_destination2 0 0

END

read this text file with ascill to feature tool, and select polyline as output

Later symbolize them with graduated symbols using Flow_value_to_destination as the size value of the polyline

best wishes,

Srirama Bhamidipati

Transport Planner

Delft - South Africa

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

If you have only 1 origin and 10 destinations, I would suggest that you use the Location-Allocation solver and load them as 1 facility and 10 demand points (mapping in the demand weight as the weight of that location).

Solve the LA layer with the default settings of Minimize Impedance for 1 location.

The output Lines feature class will be straight lines just as OD Cost Matrix, but more importantly they will have a "weight" field where the original demand weight is copied in. Now you can simply use this to symbolize the line thickness with a graduated symbol based on the Weight field.

HazelAng1
New Contributor

Hi all

Thanks so much for the suggestions. They work great! (:

0 Kudos