Can someone answer this question for me.
Preamble: running ArcGIS desktop 10.3.1 with Business Analyst 10.3.1 2014 and 2015 data.
In ArcGIS, in one of my maps, on the Geocoding toolbar dropdown list I see a number of geocoding services listed.
Thus on one of my maps I see these:
World Geocode Service (ArcGIS Online)
MGRS (Military Grid Reference System)
USA Geocoding Service
BA Online Locator
World Geocode Services is an online service. How ArcGIS desktop knows about it is beyond me -- but it is the services I usually employ
MGRS is another mystery that I cannot find anywhere on my local machine. We have never used the any military specialty extensions
BA Online Locator seems to also be an online service: I don't think we have a license for it, and I don't know why it shows up
USA_LocalComposite is a local locator and comes with the BA2015 data
USA Geocoding Service is also a local locator and comes with the BA2014 data
On a different map, the dropdown list shows items 1,2,3 and 4 from my list above, but not item 5.
In ArcCatalog, when run the Geocode Addresses tool (ArcToolbox=>Geocoding Tools=>Geocode Addresses)
I see only the MGRS locator in the dropdown list. I understand
how I could access the two locators that come with Business Analyst
but I have no idea how I can tell it to use the online World Geocode Service
nor do I don't understand why I get two different lists of possibilities.
So can someone answer these questions:
1. Why do I get different dropdown lists?
2. What is BA Online Locator and MGRS ? And why are they showing up?
3. How can I tell the tool in ArcCatalog to use World Geocode Service ?
4. How do these dropdown lists get populated in the first place ?
5. Why do different maps show different dropdown lists?
6. Is there some special config file that I need to edit by hand?