Configuring the portal for Arcgis to trust certificates,

10-09-2015 05:42 AM
MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah
Occasional Contributor III

Configuring the portal for Arcgis to trust certificates,

We couldn’t figure out why the portal for Arcgis couldn’t work with our purchase certificate taking into consideration that the steps configurations posted in this link (http://server.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/administer/windows/import-a-certificate-into-the-portal.ht...) were applied. And each time we got the connection is not trusted message when opening it.

Clip_92.jpg

Clip_93.jpg

What might be the issue here?

Best,

Majdoleen

5 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Majdoleen,

The error shown in the second screen shot you posted typically occurs because the web browser detects an untrusted security certificate. Are you sure you're not using a self-signed certificate? You mentioned the certificate you used for your Portal was "purchased"; was it certified by a known certificate authority like Verisign, GlobalSign etc.?

Hope this helps,

MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah

Hi Derek,

I don't have enough information about the certificate and the configuration process, I will check it with our IT colleague and get back to you.

Thank you,

Best,

Majdoleen

0 Kudos
MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah

More one question, can I use "Portal for ArcGIS" without any kind of certificate? Do you have any idea that  may help?

Best,

Majdoleen

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Majdoleen,

> More one question, can I use "Portal for ArcGIS" without any kind of certificate?

No, Portal for ArcGIS requires a security certificate to work. By default it includes a self-signed security certificate to help you get Portal up and running, but for a production site - you should really get a domain or a certificate authority signed certificate.

Hope this helps,

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Based on the screen shot you show, you're hitting Portal on the 7443 interface, which is the Tomcat web server component of Portal, which is typically used for admin connections (portal.com:7443/arcgis/admin). The error you're getting is the default self-signed certificate that installs with Portal on the Tomcat side of things. You should be hitting Portal through a web adaptor, AND, you should have a valid certificate installed on the Web Adaptor AND the Portal(GIS) Server. It seems like your IT folks put a certificate on your Web Adaptor (web server) but not the Portal GIS server.