Use Collector without AGOL or ArcGIS Server?

10-08-2015 12:40 PM
joefranklin
New Contributor

I'm looking for a simple solution to use Collector without connecting the tablet (Android)  to the internet.   I wondered if it was possible to create the offline data using ArcGIS Desktop and copy it to the tablet.  Has anyone used the ArcGIS Runtime Content option in ArcGIS Desktop and then edited/updated the .geodatabase file in Collector?

Testing using a layer stored on AGOL and using another tablet, in the ArcGIS_Collector/offline_data/ directory, there were 4 files created:

xxxxxxxxx.geodatabase

info.json

webmap.json

thumbnail.jpg

I was hoping to use arcpy to create those files, copy them to the tablet,use Collector to update the data offline, and finally manually merge the changes back to the data in ArcGIS Desktop.  It's only intended for a single user.  I'm hoping to quickly push a layer to the tablet without all the hassle of using AGOL or ArcGIS server.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Joe,

I realize this is an older post, but it appeared in my "recommended content" list of GeoNet threads while I was responding to another question, so I thought I would post a reply.

> Use Collector without AGOL or ArcGIS Server?

This workflow is not supported. Collector for ArcGIS is an app designed to work with web maps from either ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise (Portal for ArcGIS component).

What are the requirements?—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

(see Data requirements section)

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos