AnsweredAssumed Answered

renamed geodatabase server breaking legacy .mxd's

Question asked by uoglick on Oct 8, 2015
Latest reply on Jan 20, 2016 by billfox

The problem is that I have old legacy mxd's that, when opened, are looking for enterprise geodatabase data on a server that is turned off.  Because the server is turned off, it takes 2 hours or more for those mxd's to even open.

This happened because when we upgraded from windows server 2003 to server 2008, I had to change to a new server name.  So the server hosting our SQL enterprise geodatabase got a new name.  Fixing broken layer links isn't a problem, but waiting 2-4 hours for an mxd to open has been a big problem.
If I leave the 2003 server turned on, with the SDE service off, then the old mxd's will open with broken links, but at least it only takes a few minutes for them to open.  Soon, however, I will have to shut down that 2003 server for good. 

I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this problem and has any suggestions. I suspect this might be more of a network engineer type question but if anyone has any previous experience or advice, at least I'll have something to suggest to our network person.  Thanks.

Outcomes