error 000582 - FlipLine_Edit

10-07-2015 08:21 PM
ChrisPedrezuela
Occasional Contributor III
def CreateBiDirectionalRoute(input_lines, _routes):
            try:
                in_geo = [i for i in arcpy.da.SearchCursor(input_lines, ['ID', 'SHAPE@', 'SPEEDLIMIT'])]
                incur = arcpy.da.InsertCursor(nztm_routes, ['ROUTENAME', 'ROUTENUM', 'JOINFIELD', 'SHAPE@', 'SPEEDLIMIT'])
                for _geo in in_geo:
                    incur.insertRow([_geo[0], 'A', str(_geo[0])+'-'+'A', _geo[1].projectAs(arcpy.SpatialReference(###), ###), _geo[2]])
                flip_features = arcpy.FlipLine_edit(input_lines)
                in_geo2 = [k for k in arcpy.da.SearchCursor(flip_features, ['ID', 'SHAPE@','SPEEDLIMIT'])]
                for _geo2 in in_geo2:
                    incur.insertRow([_geo2[0], 'B', str(_geo2[0])+'-'+'B', _geo2[1].projectAs(arcpy.SpatialReference(###), ###), _geo2[2]])
                del incur
            except arcpy.ExecuteError:
                arcpy.AddMessage(arcpy.GetMessages(2))

Hi guys,

from the above code, if I use a versioned sde featureclass as inputlines, I get the error above based on line 7. Is there a work around to be able to use versioned fcs for this function of mine?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I'm wondering if it is the versioning that is the problem.  The help Flip Line—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop mentions that is is a "tool with no outputs", which mentions

"When input data is stored in a versioned database, tools will only modify the single version of the data. To apply changes to the rest of the database, the version must be reconciled and posted."

I'm wondering if it has an issue with that. ??

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

And is an editor session started somewhere outside of this function.

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/desktop/latest/analyze/arcpy-data-access/editor.htm

0 Kudos
ChrisPedrezuela
Occasional Contributor III

​I actually tried loading the versioned fc on arcgis desktop and did the flip line tool (not in editing mode). It worked without any issue. So it's just weird that thru arc py implementation it fails. removing the version, function runs fine.

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

The flip line in ArcMap is fine. One operation.

Inside python you have 2. An insert Cursor and the flip.

I believe you will need to open a da.Editor session for this.

Like :

# start editing
edit = arcpy.da.Editor(os.path.dirname(outputDataLocation))
edit.startEditing(False, False) # check these settings in the help
edit.startOperation()
# do stuff here
edit.stopOperation()
edit.stopEditing(True)