AnsweredAssumed Answered

Hydraulic modelling/predictions - Free form evaporation pond planning

Question asked by jem_shimmield on Oct 6, 2015
Latest reply on Oct 28, 2015 by jem_shimmield

Hello all,

We are currently in the planning stages for a Free Form Evaporation (FFE) pond. In our industry FFE ponds are used when we produce excess water, which is discharged into clay swales in an arid dune system environment. Depending on the size and shape of the swale area and the volume of water discharged, we often need to engineer berm walls or similar to contain the water within specific areas.

The image below gives an example of an actual FFE extent overlayed with a 2m DEM. A berm wall was engineered at the southern end of this area to stop water from encroaching on the road.

For planning new areas, ideally I would like to be able to nominate a 'pour point' (or similar) on the DEM and input the water discharge amount (in litres or megalitres) to obtain a final output layer that delineates the predicted surface water extent (in 3D Analyst would be great). I know that this will be affected by evaporation rates, soil types etc. but a 'ball park' prediction would be good enough. I will have a 50cm DEM available for analysis/modelling.

Has anyone got any ideas on the best way to go about this? or the next best thing?

I have been doing a bit of research and it looks like HEC-GeoRAS could be a good way to go. However, if this tool is designed for dendritic systems only, it may be inappropriate for this environment which is a dunal system comprising of long parallel dunes separated by clay swales with numerous natural sinks.

Any ideas/guidance on this would be greatly appreciated!

Outcomes