What Happened to the ArcObjects API?

10-07-2015 12:28 AM
IngoHallbauer
New Contributor

Hi There

Our client runs a ArcGIS for Server 10.2 instance that we are required to connect to and pull feature data as Java objects from. All the documentation I have read points to using the ArcObjects API with which you could create a GISServerConnection instance to connect to the relevant server.

All I see on the developer site now are downloads for ArcGIS Runtime Java SDK. After installing that SDK, there is no hint of the ArcObjects.jar library (as per online discussions), nor are the relevant com.esri.arcgis.server.* packages available in any of the available jars, as far as I can see.

Has the entire ArcObjects API been depricated and removed by ESRI? Is there a new way I should be connecting to an ArcGIS Server?

All help greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Is this what you are referring to? Re: ArcObjects or ArcGIS Runtime (.NET)

0 Kudos
IngoHallbauer
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply Dan Patterson​ Not exactly what I was referring to. I should have specified that it's the Java ArcObjects API that I'm looking for. The thread you linked to indicates that ArcObjects is not deprecated, but also not avalable in the Java Runtime SDK... which does not tell me exactly where to find it! The closest place I've come thus far is the ArcObjects help page, which says nothing about where to find and download a recent build and/or .jar file.

Still exploring alternatives, but I keep coming up dry 😐

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If it is anywhere it is here Patches and Service Pack - Esri Support

but you know what you are looking for and if this doesn't help, then you should call tech support.  good luck

0 Kudos
FreddieGibson
Occasional Contributor III

The ArcObjects SDK has not been deprecated and is a seperate product to the newer ArcGIS for Runtime APIs. You should be able to find the installs for the ArcObjects (.NET/Java/C++) SDK within your MyEsri account under your available downloads.

I have added a screenshot of what this would look like below. I believe what you're going to be concerned about is the deprecation of DCOM at 10.1, which is going to greatly impact how you're communicating with the server. I would suggest reading over the following blog:

Considerations for arcgis server developers a look toward 10.1

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2011/04/27/considerations-for-arcgis-server-developers-a-look-towa...

2015-10-07_0901.png